12.05.2007

A loaf of dinner

I've been into loaf dinners recently. Think yummy food wrapped up in a loaf of freshly baked bread. Last night we had stroganoff loaf. Yum. Tonight, it's ham and cheese stromboli (I like that word). Both recipes call for using frozen bread dough, but I made my own, and it worked just fine.

For the Stroganoff loaf, brown 1 lb hamburger, add 1/2 cup onions and a clove (or more) minced garlic. Stir in 1 can mushrooms, drained, and 8 oz. cream cheese (I used fat free). Roll dough out to 12x18 inch rectangle and add the meat mixture lengthwise. Pull the long sides up over the mixture, seal, and seal the ends, tucking them under. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Serve with a white sauce.

For the Stromboli, roll out dough to 12x18 inch rectangle. Layer cheese, (I used mozzarella and cheddar, but the recipe called for swiss, cheddar and colby) thin sliced ham, and broccoli florettes to within an inch of the edge. Sprinkle (generously) with garlic powder and roll up cinnamon roll style (starting with a long side). Seal the ends and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then cover with foil and bake another 15-20 minutes.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I want to see some pictures!

Lisa C said...

yummy! thanks for the ideas! Stromboli is one of our favorites, but I have never heard of the stroganoff loaf!

Kristy said...

Ooh, I want to make these! I LOVE new dinner ideas.

Sara said...

Those sound really yummy. I'll have to try them next week. I hate planning menus and you just gave me two freebees for next week! Yay!

Janelle said...

I like to help out! Dinner planning is the worst. When I made the stromboli, the bread recipe I used made two loaves, so I made two strombolies and froze one... it worked out great!

Kristy said...

Nelli, I FINALLY made the stromboli one tonight and it was a total hit. We took it on a picnic date and it was to die for. Thank you!