1.23.2008

Fashionably Late

I am a meticulous budget-er. I keep track of every penny I spend (okay, I don't actually count loose change.) I have all of my bills on auto-pay so that I never miss a payment, but I never would anyway. Actually, make that all but one. My visa, which I hardly ever use, I pay online. I wait to receive the statement, then transfer funds from my checking account.

I realized the other day that I had not gotten my visa statement, and it usually comes by now. Today, I checked online, and not only had I missed the due date (the 17th), but they had charged me $19.00 as a late fee. Um, hello? I have never missed a payment and have had the card since high school. The balance was like $65.

I guess I don't know what standard late fees are, but that seemed a little exorbitant to me. So I called. And called. And called. Each time I would make it through their little automated system, I would get a message telling me that they were experiencing unusually high wait times and would be unable to service my call. Thanks.

Finally I got through to someone who reversed the charge and offered to send me paperwork to set up auto-pay. That's what I'm talking about. If they hadn't reversed it, I probably would have canceled the card and changed banks. Luckily, I don't have to go through that.

3 comments:

Lisa C said...

I love all your stories! I'm glad they refunded you your money! Oh and the fridge story? Nasty!

Sara said...

I agree, that was a ridiculously high late fee. So glad they reversed it, especially since you've had the card forever and always paid on time.

I remember paying my credit card bill online. Next statement came and it said I'd never paid for last month and also gave me a high late fee. Oh, I was fuming. I called and since I had forgotten to save the tracking number and they obviously didn't have record of it, they would take of the late fee. So I asked if I could pay it right then over the phone... they said sure but it would cost me $14. WHAT! Luckily, they didn't charge me that and I got it paid.

Credit companies are sly little devils.

Sara said...

Sorry, I see lots of typos from my last post. It's hard to type with a kid climbing all over me. Hope you understood what I was trying to say :).