1.28.2008

We Thank Thee, Oh God, For a Prophet

With the the passing of our dear prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, I want to say a few words about what he meant to me.

Called of God in 1995 to lead this church, President Hinckley has served as the Prophet for the majority of my life. He is my prophet. His words have touched, inspired and lifted me. He has helped me to become a better person, daughter, sister, wife and mother.

His impact has been felt in more than just my life. His words and actions have left an incredible impact on people the world over.

I want to share one of my favorite hymns, the words of which were written by President Hinkley:

I know that my Redeemer lives,
Triumphant Savior, Son of God,
Victorious over pain and death,
My King, my Leader, and my Lord.

He lives, my one sure rock of faith,
The one bright hope of men on earth,
The beacon to a better way,
The light beyond the veil of death.

Oh, give me thy sweet Spirit still,
The peace that comes alone from thee,
The faith to walk the lonely road
That leads to thine eternity.


While I mourn his passing, I know where he is, and rejoice that he is with his sweet wife again. I have faith that this life is not that end, and that through the gospel, we can all be with our loved ones again.

I count myself as lucky to have lived during his time as prophet, and pray that, like him, I can stand a little taller.

1 comment:

dlhardy said...

Thanks for this Janelle - I love you