2.25.2008

Call me crazy...

For those of you who know me, I am NOT a runner. In fact, I have never even liked to run. (Except maybe once, in third grade.) But occasionally, I get a bizarre, unexplainable urge to go for a run. And usually I end up with severe shin splints. So, recently, this urge has been attacking me, and I have gone running (read: jogging/walking at a miserably slow rate) a couple of times. But then the urge fades and I shrink back into my normal, comfortable, non-exercising routine. Unfortunately for me, this time it's not going away. The problem is, since I'm not a runner, I don't really know how to go about it without killing myself.

Then Janssen made a reference to the Couch to 5K program. It took me a couple times reading her brief reference to it to look it up, but I think I'm going to try it. Sonnet has recently taken up running as well, and I figure if she can do it, I can do it. So here goes nothing. I'm posting this so that I can't back out next week, but I actually have some virtual accountability to someone other than myself. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Lisa C said...

Way to go! I was just having an internal debate whether or not to start my new exercise routine today or tomorrow...you're inspiring to start today...maybe :) I'm glad you posted the link to the couch to 5k!

Aimee said...

Good for you! I hate running, but I always envy the people out there doing it.

Sarah said...

Since my knee problems I really haven't run at all but I have been talking to some people with some ideas to help, I have run 1 mile several times now on a tread mill and so I am so excited for the weather to get above freezing so I can actually get out and run again. you are a motivation to me! I can't let you be the runner in the family... that was my position but I guess we can share it! :)

The Gunter Family said...

You go girl! If it weren't for this silly moving thing, it would have been fun to do a 5K together this spring. I need to call you tomorrow to talk about Friday. Thanks again by the way. :)

Jennifer said...

I've been meaning to read that couch to 5K thing for a week now. Last week Amanda Sharp told me that you had posted it, so I'm finally getting around to finding it so when I have time to read it I can go right to it. Seeing how it's 12:30 in the morning, I probably shouldn't do that right now. I've always been a runner, cross-country and all, but being pregnant the last 5 years has kinda killed that. So thanks for the inspiration and information. I can't wait for more updates!