2.29.2008

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë

This book has been on my "to read" list for a while. Originally published in 1847, Jane Eyre is the story of an orphan girl without friends or family, except an uncle's wife who swore to her late husband to raise Jane as her own child, but despises her and makes her life miserable.

Though I enjoyed the beginning, it wasn't really drawing me in. I may have mentioned before, but when I read I tend to really get into books, and don't do much else until I'm done. Jane Eyre, while I was enjoying it, was seemingly easy to put down and come back to. Until I was 250 pages in. Then I couldn't put it down.

The book is written as Jane's autobiography, and starts with her as a ten-year-old, living in the care of her hateful aunt. She is soon sent away to school, which at first is not much better. That situation is soon remedied, and she graduates and becomes a teacher. After a few years she itches to explore more of the world, since she has seen nothing outside of Lowood school for the last ten years.

She advertises as a governess and lands a job teaching young Adèle, ward of a mysterious Mr. Rochester. I am not an expert a writing book reviews, and am always afraid of giving too much away, so I will stop there.

I most frequently read young adult fiction, and though this probably falls in the same category, it was very different from the last several books I've read, especially in the vocab department. I flatter myself, but I feel I have a fairly large vocabulary, but, due especially to the time this was written, there were several words and phrases with which I was unfamiliar, but not so much as to make it difficult to understand.

No comments: