4.01.2008

Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine

Having a daughter named Ella, I figured I should read this book. Besides, I enjoyed the movie.

Let me start with saying that I'm glad I saw the movie first. It was NOTHING like the book. Okay, the characters have the same names, Ella is blessed cursed with obedience, and they live happily ever after, but that's about where the similarity ends.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bitter. Really, I'm not. I just don't like it when they make movies "based on" a book and then change everything about it. Why don't you just come up with a new title too? I mean really. Did anyone see Cheaper by the Dozen? Cute movie, but it would have been cuter if they had a different title and not claimed association with the book.

But back to Ella Enchanted. I loved the book. And I agree that it needed little more plot action to make a captivating movie. But other than that, I say read the book. And don't expect it to be like the movie. In fact, pretend they aren't really related. It's better that way.

4 comments:

Lisa C said...

You're funny :)Not many book reviews make me chuckle

Sarah said...

I agree with Lisa! I don't normally laugh at book reviews but that was great!

Sara said...

I read the book first and then saw the movie. Still liked the movie but was pretty dissapointed with how different it was. I hope Twilight isn't like that!

However, I did read Stardust and liked the movie waaaay better than the book (doesn't usually happen that way does it?)

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but i love both the movie and book equally, for different reasons. Maybe it's because i saw the movie first and thought it was really cute. Then reading the book, i was pleasently surprised to find it was nothing like the movie!

I think of them as two completely different version of the story of cinderella, with only two similarities: The curse on ella, and prince char (they way he looks, sounds etc. Hugh dancy is perfect for that role i think!)

I think if the movie had been a carbon copy of the book, then it wouldn't have been worth seeing. Reading it would be so much more enjoyable for me, i can use my imagination rather than have things spelled out for me. I like what they did with the movie, I found it adorable, and even kinda cheesy--in a good way. Like the music number in the end :)