4.07.2008

The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick

Well, since no one really guessed, no one really got it wrong, but no one got it right either. The correct answer is page 100-101 of The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but Brian Selznick. The book is five hundred-some-odd pages, but is a really quick read, given that over half of the pages are beautiful illustrations that move the story along. I was quickly drawn into the story, and enjoyed the combination between novel and picture book.

The story takes place in Paris (!) in 1931. Hugo Cabret is an orphan who lives at the train station keeping the clocks working. He has some secrets of his own that have turned him into a thief. His life gets complicated when he is caught by the owner of the toyshop, and his notebook is taken.

I found the book enjoyable and enchanting. Hugo is a boy, maybe 11, I don't remember, and sometimes he and Isabelle seemed a little childish, but they are, so it's understandable.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That was my next guess..... I think mom wins! You did a very good job in your replica! I am impressed!

Sara said...

uh yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that. Never heard of the book. Will definitely look for it though!

joel and laura michelle said...

wow ... super impressive. great job!