5.07.2008

It's what's on the plate that counts, right?

My Grandma is the best bargain shopper you will ever find. And I mean the BEST! If you need anything, let her know, and she will find it at a garage sale, some deeply discounted clearance rack, or somewhere, and she will get a great deal.

When I went to college, I knew I was going to need some kitchen things, since I was going to be living in Heritage Halls and cooking for myself. My grandma found a set of Corelle plates (and bowls, and mugs, etc.) at a garage sale that looked like they had never been used. They were in the original packaging, and it was service for twelve. I grew up on Corelle, so I was stoked to have a matching set and service for twelve! Wahoo! And then I took them out of the box.
Wow. That's the only word that can describe these beauties. Unique in all the world. I could see why they were still in their original packaging.

I didn't use them much at school. By the time I got there, other roommates had already unpacked kitchen things, and they mostly sat in storage. Once I got married, however, I had no excuse, and these were our everyday plates for the last almost four years.

As I'm sure you can imagine, food easily gets lost on the plate. Glancing down, it is hard to tell if you have missed a few bites, or if you are just seeing the plate. It gets rather confusing. But, they were in great condition so I couldn't validate spending money for new ones.

Until I graduated.

Hallelujah!
Okay, so it was actually February when I finished my last class that I was rewarded with these beautiful new plates (I now have service for 16)! Thank you mom and dad! Every meal looks and tastes that much better!

4 comments:

Mandee said...

Maybe they just photograph really well, but I think your first dishes are actually pretty cute.
However, you can't go wrong with white dishes. Love white dishes!

Sara said...

Love the new dishes. I can't wait to get some new ones of my own.

Kristy said...

Ooh, I love those dishes! Good choice.

csotutu said...

I raised my family on your first dishes. They were not my choice either.