6.10.2008

Running out of time

Some of you may be wondering what ever happened with my Couch to 5k running goal. And some of you may think you know, and you're probably right.

Just as a recap, the C25K is a nine week program with 3 runs each week, each week progressively building up so that by the ninth week you are running 30 minutes straight, or about 5k.

Having NEVER been a runner in my life this was quite difficult, but that was compounded by the time that I ran: 5 am. If I am not a runner, I am less of a morning person. Nevertheless, I persevered. And I really was getting better at running.

Week nine, day one, I woke up with more difficulty than usual, and proceeded on my first ever half hour of running with absolutely no walking. And I did it. I was so dang proud of myself. When Wednesday came around, I could not get myself out of bed. I told myself that I would run Thursday and Saturday instead, but I couldn't get up Thursday or Friday either. I was just so dang tired. And so, two runs shy of completing my goal, I failed.

The next week, I found out I was pregnant, which greatly explains the extreme exhaustion, but did not make it any easier to get up. I still plan on running in the future, either once I'm not bone tired all the time or once the weather finally dries up and I can go during the day with the kids in the stroller. But until then, I'm back to my slackerific self.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Slackerific. Excellent word. I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunities to employ it in the near future :). Hey, don't write off your whole experience! It sounds like you did a great job with your goal! (5 am...whew! I don't know how I used to get up every morning for school. I used to be a morning person...)

The Strain's said...

Heck of alot better than me!! I kept thinking, ok if im not pregnant i'll start working out and the test would be negative and did i ever start??? nooooo!! and i dont even have kids yet!! the 11hr work days kinda drain me though, and no sense in starting now that i am pregnant! maybe after lol...

Kristy said...

Yeah, you did way better than me. I had one minor setback and I've decided for ever and ever that I will never be a runner because I HATE it!! Well we'll see about that. But I'm definitely a Pilates girl.

Bekah said...

You're pregnant?!?! Congrats congrats! And I think you did awesome on your running goal. I finally decided to embrace the fact that I HATE running. Oh well, there are other forms of exercise, right? :) Good job and congrats again!