7.19.2008

Week three

I promise I'm not turning this into a cooking blog, and I will try to get some more interesting posts up today or tomorrow. But for now, you get another recipe. This one for what my cousin Holley calls "Ice Box Dessert." I've heard it by other names, but we'll stick with that one for now. Here are her instructions:

Ingredients:
Layer 1
1 1/2 c flour
1 cube butter, softened
1/2 c nuts, chopped

Layer 2
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz cool whip
1/2 c powdered sugar

Layer 3
2 small chocolate puddings
1 small vanilla pudding
4 1/2 c milk

Layer 4
8 oz cool whip


Directions:
Mix layer 1 with a pastry blender, press into the bottom of a 9X13 and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let cool. Mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar, fold in the cool whip. Smooth over the top of the crust. Mix together the puddings and the milk (use 2 small chocolate puddings 1 large is not as much as the 2 small). Smooth over layer 2, top with the cool whip. You can grate 2 Hershey snack bars over the cool whip or get chocolate jimmies (sprinkles) I like the grated chocolate bars better. Keep refrigerated.

Number Of Servings:24 (unless one of them is me...)

Preparation Time:45 minutes

Now, because I don't follow recipes exactly, here's what I did different:

After baking and cooling the crust, I crumbled it up and put some in the bottom of 9 goblets. Then I piped in some of the cream cheese layer, ladled in some pudding and topped it with cool whip and added a chocolate leaf. While this looked very pretty, I had lots of leftover crust (I even sprinkled some between each layer), so if you go this route, halve the crust recipe.





My method did make it trickier, so if you're going for ease, stick with the 9x13, but either way it's not too tricky (as long as you make sure to get the cool whip out of the freezer in advance.) Overall, it was very tasty. My mom has a similar recipe, and I think I like her layer 2 better. Hers calls for 1 cup powered sugar, 8 oz cream cheese and 1 cup of cool whip, which is less than 8 oz. I'll try that next time. Also, if you're not a chocolate lover, or you're in the mood for a little change, you can use different puddings to change it up. My mom has made it with lemon and it was quite delicious! I will definitely be making this again!

2 comments:

RA said...

Before I realized that you baked the crust, I was a little alarmed at the butter layer. Yikes! :)

Hol said...

Janelle, that looks really good!! I have never thought of doing it that wasy before. I might have to try that sometime.