8.02.2008

Best Friends

Exactly 21 years ago today, my parents moved their young family into their first house. It was a four bedroom home on a large lot. There were fruit trees, a garden space, and plenty of grass. Even better, it was at the end of a small cul-de-sac with 16 other houses. But the best part was the plethora of children.

Sarah was one day shy of her 5th birthday; I was three, Grant was only 10 months old. In Sarah's 'age group' there was Alex and Rori, (both girls), Brian, and Dallas. My age, Beth, Tyler, and Perry, and Scott just around the corner. In between were Tyler and Rachel. Plus there were older kids and younger kids galore. Basically, it was heaven.

Whether we officially met on August 2nd or not, I don't really remember, but this was the beginning of a lifelong friendship for Beth and I. We lived together in "The Neighborhood" from the age of three until Beth moved after fourth grade. Even then, she told her parents she would only move if she could still be friends with me.

We went to different schools, and had different friends, but Beth and I kept in touch through the years. Before we could drive we would have our moms drop us off in Woodinville so we could catch a movie and eat at Red Robin. After graduation she went to WWU and I moved to Utah to go to BYU.

When I moved back to Washington, I was excited be closer to her, but before long she set off for law school in Colorado. There she met the man of her dreams, and is getting married this month. I told her she wasn't allowed to get married in Colorado, but she didn't listen. I guess it's only fair, since she didn't get to come to my wedding.

I've been thinking recently how lucky I am to have such a good friend. Even when we haven't talked in months, when we get together or talk on the phone it seems like no time has passed at all (except for all the catching up there is to do). This pic is from her bridal shower last week. I wish I had some older ones, but apparently that's the only one I have of the two of us on my computer. Mom or Dad, if you could email me some other ones (the older the better) I'll add them too.
I love you Bethy, I'm so glad to count you as my friend, and I'm so excited for you and Jay as you start this new stage in your life!

1 comment:

Beth Mankamyer said...

I love you, Nell. I just randomly decided ot check out your blog today- and was so excited to se eyou are having another girl (Congrats!!!!!)- and came upon this post. I am so incredibly touched, and am very honored and blessed to still be your friend after all these years!! Now we both have different last names, but we are still Beth and Janelle :) I love you always!!! Can't wait to see you Saturday