8.05.2008

Better late than never

Otherwise known as WIU weeks four and five.

Last Friday I made a potato casserole of my own creation that turned out great! I wanted to use potatoes because I had way too many. I was browsing the internet looking for something good. I found a potato ham casserole that looked okay, but I've made similar recipes and wasn't really in the mood. Then I saw a recipe for Pizza Lovers' Potatoes, but I had none of the ingredients, plus it involved washing the potatoes, which I H A T E. However, the name kept coming back as a good idea, so I put the two concepts together and came up with, for lack of a better name, Pizza Potato Casserole:

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked cubed potatoes (I peeled, cubed, and steamed mine)
1 3/4 cups pepperoni, chopped
minced onion (I used like 2T, maybe?)
3T butter or margarine
3T flour
Seasoning salt
Pepper
Basil
Oregano
Onion powder
Garlic Powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar
Parmesan cheese

Put the potatoes, pepperoni and onion in an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted, add flour and spices. I added probably half a tsp or so of each, more or less depending on your tastes. Once mixed and bubbling, add milk. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Pour over potato mixture and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 350 for half hour or so, until bubbling.

This was quite easy, quite tasty, and I will definitely be making it again. I'm also planning on experimenting with other pizza toppings, like mushrooms, pineapple, etc.

Monday I made Pasta with Roasted Vegetables from the Gooseberry Patch Country Quick & Easy cookbook.

1 lb mixed fresh vegetables, chopped (I used zucchini, carrots, broccoli, onion, minced garlic, and (ahem) frozen green beans and corn.)
salt and pepper to taste
2 t dried rosemary
2 t dried thyme
2 T olive oil
1/2 lb rigatoni, cooked
2 t balsamic vinegar (I misread this and put in Tablespoons, not teaspoons)
2 1/2 T grated parmesan cheese

Arrange veggies in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. season with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Pour oil over all and toss. Roast vegetables in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes or until browned. Drain vegetables, reserving juice; set aside. In a large serving bowl, toss pasta, vegetables, reserved juice and vinegar together. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, toss.

I also added some cubed cooked chicken, to make it more of a main dish. As promised, it was easy, tasty and I'll make it again. Tom's comment was that this would be good with pork, or salmon as well.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Brilliant woman! I'm excited to try these.

RA said...

Easy and tasty = winner! I love finding new rotation recipes.