8.21.2008

Making up for lost time

I really must say, I'm not quite doing as well at this Whip It Up thing as I might have hoped. I've done the hard part and tried new recipes every week, but somehow, I never get around to blogging about it.

So here's week six and seven.

Week 6: The theme was appetizers, I think, but I didn't so much follow that. I don't have much cause for making appetizers around here. I was in the mood for something chicken and creamy, so I looked through a ward cookbook for some ward in Utah that I was never in, that I got from my mom, and found a recipe called Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts submitted by someone named Lisa Johnson. Now, not to criticize, but the recipe needed some help. It called for 6 chicken breasts, cut in half and arranged in a 7x10. I don't know about you, but I can barely fit 6 chicken breasts in a 9x13, let alone a 7x10 (which I don't have anyway.) Then it called for 8 pieces of swiss cheese, one for each breast. . . . Um, anyone else see a problem here? Yeah. So here's what I ended up doing:

2 chicken breasts
2 slices cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
2 cups dry seasoned stuffing mix
1/3 cup margarine, melted.

Arrange chicken in a 8x8 baking dish. Top each with a slice of cheddar cheese. (I don't like swiss cheese, and I didn't have any mozzarella, or I'd have used that). Mix cream of chicken soup with water and spoon evenly over chicken. Coarsely crush stuffing mix and sprinkle over chicken. Drizzle evenly with melted margarine. Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes or so. Serve with potatoes or rice.

This made a lot of gravy (or sauce, or whatever you call it) and could easily have been done with more chicken breasts. I served it with mashed potatoes (yum) and used the soup as gravy, and since I like gravy, I was glad there was plenty.

While overall it was good (and super easy), it was a little bland (nothing a little salt and pepper couldn't fix) and not super special. While I might make it again, I don't think it will become a staple, as there are other similar recipes I like just as well, if not better.

Week 7: (this week! Aren't you proud of me?) The theme was salads, but I'm not a huge salad lover, so I ignored that. I had some zucchini in my fridge that needed using, but I couldn't think of anything to make with it (other than chocolate zucchini cake, but somehow that doesn't say dinner.) I put some rice in the rice cooker, and leafed through the casserole section of the above mentioned random cookbook. Nothing jumped out at me, so I improvised.

I cut up a chicken breast, and fried it in some olive oil with some minced garlic. After it was mostly done I added some minced onion and probably 2-3 cups chopped (peeled--but not necessary) zucchini and a tablespoon or two of margarine. I let that cook for a while then added a can of cream of chicken soup, a little water (quarter cup, maybe) to thin it out a little, and some pepper and Johnny's pork and chicken seasoning (a glorified seasoning salt--quite necessary.) Once it was hot, we had it over rice.

For zucchini, it was good. It was easy, and repeatable, but as zucchini is not something I always have on hand (or when I do I want to make chocolate zucchini cake or conchiglie con zucchini) I I don't foresee making it regularly, but I would not be surprised if it showed up on our table again.

2 comments:

Dudley Family said...

Yum! You are so talented, I love how you can just come up with a recipe, or switch some things around! I'm pretty clueless and have to follow the recipe exactly as it says... unless it comes to adding extra garlic! :)

dlhardy said...

You're so funny Janelle, I love you! Happy recipe book hunting (even if they are interesting and conflicted)!