10.27.2008

Question my sanity

I don't know how many of you remember me when I looked like this:Take a good look. (Check out that nice oversized shirt, and way cool scrunchy on my wrist. I was way cool!) This is me circa 1995, when I used to play the flute (read: elementary school band). I played in 5th and 6th grade, and though I kept my flute, that was the last time I really played.

Until yesterday, that is. I got some crazy idea in my head like six months ago that I should work on a musical number for sacrament meeting. (For you non-Mormons, this is our main Sunday worship meeting--for a more detailed explanation, see here.) I thought I was crazy, but found some music online, and started practicing.

I talked with my friend Laura (who is an accomplished pianist--though she might not approve of my use of the word accomplished) in July and asked if she would accompany me. We then proceeded to practice for months. We practiced at her house (since I don't have a piano) and played through 5-7 kids {her five (with two of them in school since Sept.), my two, plus occasional neighbors} running around, playing the piano, raiding the snack cupboard, pulling on legs, whining, asking questions, and generally causing trouble.

And yesterday, we actually performed it, and I was quite pleased with how it turned out. It was not perfect, my breath support was less that amazing, (but what can you expect when you're seven months pregnant and freaking nervous?) and I missed at least two notes, but I did it!

My dad recored it on his MP3 player, but seeing as he was sitting with my kids, you can hear them better than anything else. I tried attaching the .WAV file as a video, but it didn't work, so if you want to hear how we sounded, either tell me how to post it on here, or I can email directly to you.

Interesting/over-informing side note: After I got my ears pierced at the end of sixth grade, I realized that I am allergic, or at least sensitive, to nickel. I have to buy nickel-free earrings, and if I wear my nickel-containing watch too long, or too often, I get a rash. Guess what? Yeah, my flute is nickel plated. So more than once in the past several months, I've gotten a nice little rash under my lip. Special, huh? I guess I should look into getting a new head joint or something for my flute if I'm going to keep playing.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Way to go Janelle! Very impressive. I haven't picked up my clarinet since high school and I'm pretty sure it would not sound pretty if I tried now.

Kbiehl said...

I remember when you looked like that. I was going through some pictures when we moved and I found some pretty cute ones of us. I need to find them and show you. Way to go on the music. That is definetly not something I would be able to talk myself into doing! Bravo!

Elisabeth said...

Nice!!! That picture made me smile. I knew you back then :) I think I made it through elementary school and jr. high without any photographic evidence of my clarinet and bass clarinet. I am really impressed that you coudl still play!! I doubt I could make a note! :)