12.12.2008

Oh, Christmas Tree!

Many of my Christmas memories from childhood revolve around our Christmas Tree. Each year, the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving, we would bundle up, rain or shine, and go cut the perfect tree. We did not limit ourselves to a single tree farm, but would venture far and wide until we found the right one. By the end of the day we were usually wet and muddy, but as long as we had a tree, we were happy. Getting a tree pre-cut from a lot was out of the question, and even the thought of an artificial tree was nigh unto sacrilege. We would take it home and put {steady burning--no blinking!} white lights all over, with a star at the top. To this day I cringe at the idea of colored lights and anything but a star as a topper.

After I was married, things were a little different. The first year we lived in a teeny tiny apartment and we weren't even going to be home for Christmas, so we made do with a little two foot fake tree that we had gotten from my in-laws. Tom was with me on the white-light bandwagon, though his parents had colored twinkly lights on their tree, and we even had a miniature star at the top.

The next two years we cut one down at a lot near Tom's grandparents, but later than I would have preferred. Part of that was Tom's preference to put off the tree-getting (and therefore the tree-guarding from over-eager helpers,) and part of it was time constraints Thanksgiving weekend.

Last year, for the first time in my life, we bought a tree at Fred Meyer. I almost died. Okay, probably not, but I'm sure I considered it. Rico was not quite one and would have had to be carried the entire excursion and I don't remember all the other reasons, but that's how it ended up. And it was fine. But I missed the thrill of finding the perfect tree and cutting it down.

Last Saturday, we once again ventured out to the tree farms. There was one right near our house with tons of trees, decent prices, and free cookies and hot chocolate. Ella and Rico were great sports and loved looking for the tree, though they weren't picky at all. My camera died after the first couple shots, so I don't have any of the tree-harvesting, but you get the idea. We were home before lunchtime. I put on the star and lights. When the kids woke up from their naps, we had to remind them to look with their eyes not their hands, and as you can see, Rico still likes to be close. We were planning on decorating the following day, but Ella was waaaay too excited to decorate the tree, so in one day, we went from nothing to a fully decorated tree. Rico-boy didn't quite get the spacing the ornaments idea, I'm pretty sure that there are at least five stacked up here. Luckily he didn't mind when I spread them out later. I love having a Christmas tree!

2 comments:

Lisa C said...

I'm totally with you on the white lights thing! We use a fake tree. Sacrilege, I know. I look forward to the day when we start going back to tree farms. Good memories and traditions with my family doing that.

Grant said...

Amen and Amen.