12.16.2008

sNOw fun

For starters, I will tell you that I love snow. I get so excited watching the snow fall. I love to be curled up in my nice warm home with a blanket and hot chocolate and look out the window at a winter wonderland.

But, I have to admit, I am a total wimp when it comes to cold weather.

I'm the kind of girl that likes it to snow, then for it to warm up so that all the snow melts off the roads. The snow itself can stick around for a few days, but then I'm ready for it to rain, and get back to temperatures closer to 50. That's why I live in Washington. That's how it normally works.

Recently, such has not been the case. Friday night it snowed some nice wet Washington snow. By mid-morning Saturday, the roads were clear, though there was still a nice white blanket over most of the grass and roofs. Perfect, this is how it is supposed to be.

Then Saturday night it snowed. And FROZE. Sunday the roads were treacherous. The snow had all condensed to ice. Even by the time we went to church at one in the afternoon, the temperature was well below freezing. The parking lot was more like a skating rink. Though it didn't snow anymore, the temperature stayed down in the teens overnight (aaak! the TEENS!) and school was canceled in Tom's district the next day. And today it was two hours late. All because of the blasted ice that won't get off the roads.

For the record, I don't drive in snow. The last time I did was January 10, 2007. I took Tom to work so I could go to my doctor's appointment since I was pregnant with Rico. And I got rear-ended and had to spend the rest of the day being monitored at the hospital. So snow-driving and I don't get along. Especially when I'm pregnant.

And the forecast? Not so much seeing temps over freezing anytime this week.

Unfortunately I have to go grocery shopping today. You'd better believe that I'm waiting until after noon to give the sun as much opportunity to melt the ice on the roads as possible. But if that's not bad enough, I have to go to the ward Christmas party tonight. By myself. (With the kids.) And I will be praying the entire drive there and back. Feel free to pray for me, too. I'm sure it will help!

4 comments:

Lisa C said...

Heehee. Last year our biggest and longest snow storm accompanied James being sick and me being low on food. Very scary driving at night when you're getting 1/2"-1" an hour! We are food-storage-slackers, but you better believe I got a month's worth of food stocked in our basement by October this year complete with sick-kid necessities!

Jennifer said...

I feel the EXACT same way about the weather! I do drive in it though. The only good thing about the ice sticking around for me is that Chad works 12 hour shifts (7 days if necessary) clearing the roads. Don't get me wrong, that is also the worst part for me, but come pay check time, it's not so bad.

Kevin and Eliza said...

Hey I just noticed that you are getting very close to delivering. I hope all goes well and Merry Christmas!

Elisabeth said...

Be careful getting around my dear!!! If it makes the teens feel any warmer to you, it was negative 14 here the other night. My friend got frostbite from scraping her windows. FROSTBITE!! Stay warm and drive very carefully!