12.22.2008

till the fat lady sings

{That would be me}

You might be tempted to assume that because I haven't posted anything since Tuesday, that I've had the baby. That is very generous of you. The miserable truth is that I'm still pregnant, and it's still snowy. (I would say snowing, but it isn't currently coming down.)

Thank you to those of you who kept me in your prayers on Tuesday. We did make it safely to and from the ward activity. The parking lot was the worst, but I got their early enough to get into a parking spot with no one on either side, so no one was hit.

As a general rule, Rico and Ella go to bed between 7 and 7:30. That is to say, we generally start clean up and bedtime routines shortly before 7, and finally turn off lights around 7:30. And though they don't go sleep right away (they like to serenade us--Gloria {Angels We Have Heard On High} is the current favorite) they are usually out around 8. Even when we are out for the evening with friends or family, we still try to stick the the schedule as much as possible. For this reason, we usually leave ward (and other social) functions early, around 7 or so, that we can still get them into bed before eight. They (and therefore we) are much happier that way.

When we were originally planning on attending the ward Christmas party, it was to be a family affair. When I found out that the choir would be singing at the end (the party was slated to end at 8:30,) we figured that Tom would leave early with the kids, and I would stay for the choir number. This is not because we didn't want to support the activity, but because it works best for our family.

But then Tom had a 2+ hour grad school interview Tuesday night, in Tacoma. So I was on my own. With both kids. Till the bitter end.

The kids were amazingly cooperative most of the evening. They played happily while I emptied the car (salad, choir music, diaper bag, etc.) Rico sat happily in his chair while I got food with Ella. They hung out with Tom and Pauline (a million thank-yous--I would not have made it through the night without you!) while the choir ran through the number in another room. They started to lose it after about 7:30. They wanted to run up and down the halls. They were super wiggly and could not (or would not) hold still during the Primary's performance of the Christmas story.

But by the time the choir sang, the boy was done. It was obviously way past his bedtime, and he wanted to make sure everyone knew. I handed him off to Tom (not my husband) and he started crying. At the top of his lungs. I don't think he stopped until we were home, and he was in bed. And even that was rough.

And I was reminded why I'm glad I'm not a single mother, and why we keep them on a fairly strict routine. So call us party poopers, but unless it's the end of the world, our kids will be in bed on time. Or close to it.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Amen: bedtime rules.

Sara said...

My kids are usually in bed by 8pm. Used to be 7pm but since the summer it has stayed at 8. And then Christmas came. They've had too many late nights in a row and both kids finally just lost it. So much crankiness and crying. Can't wait for it to get back to normal.

Stacy said...

I can't believe you made it through your ward party! That's brave. My whole family makes fun of me and calls me the "bedtime nazi", but hey, it keeps the kids happy! Congrats on your coming soon new baby!

Mike and Tiffany said...

Did that little baby of yours arrive??? I've been anxiously waiting to hear!! :) Hope all is going well for you and your family!