1.10.2009

A long two weeks!

{I started writing this post a week ago, but it took me that long to finish it and actually get it posted, so that should tell you about how much free time I have on my hands!}

I’m not usually a daily events blogger. I don’t try to keep on top of what goes on in my life each day, or even each week, but the last few have been quite eventful.

Let's start on the 23rd. I woke up at 4:30 with uncomfortable contractions every three minutes. It was pretty much deja vu with Rico's labor, so we packed up our things, the kids, etc. and met my parents at the hospital at 9:30, where the contractions decided they were done. So after a couple of hours at the hospital, they sent us home.

And I cried.

We took my mom home (my dad had the kids) and hung out there the rest of the day. We opted to stay the night as well, since we were already packed for it, and the snow did not look like it was going to be fun driving.

Christmas Eve:

We had originally planned on spending Christmas Eve with Tom's parents, and then returning home to sleep and have Christmas morning on our own before heading to my parents' later that day. But, of course, it was snowing and the roads were treacherous. It finally cleared up enough that Tom thought we could make it safely, and we made the attempt. We had to try a couple different hills until we found one we could make it up, but we made it successfully to his parents and then home again.

Christmas day was fun, except for the snow driving bits. After doing our thing in the morning we stopped by Tom’s parents for lunch and some gift exchanging with uncles, aunt and cousins. Then up to my parents for some more good food and more presents. (Are we seeing a theme here?) We stayed the next two nights there, hoping that I’d go in to labor, since it would be way convenient to just leave the kids and head straight to the hospital, instead of having to arrange a hand-off. But, alas, twas not so, and we returned home still pregnant, and with lots of snow and ice on the 27th.I had really been hoping to avoid the ward Christmas program on the 21st, (not because I don’t like Christmas programs, but because I wanted to have a baby by then,) but then church was cancelled the 21st and the program was bumped to the 28th, so I was really hoping not to be there (again, strictly because I wanted a baby,) but there I was. I guess Heavenly Father really wanted me directing the choir. Besides, if the back up conductor had had to take over, we would have only had one tenor, so I guess it worked out for the best.

Monday was uneventful—at least, I don’t remember what happened, but Tuesday was miserable. I won’t go into too much detail, but I had painful contractions all freaking day (starting at 4:30 in the morning) that were so inconsistent I didn’t want to go to the hospital for fear of getting sent home again. They went from being 3 minutes apart in the morning to 20 minutes by noon, and were up and down all over the place.

Anyway, by 3:30 or so, I decided I had had enough and we got packed up and out the door by 4:30.

I could share lots more details that you probably don’t want to know, but I will say that I was feeling pretty good after the epidural, so I didn’t mind that she wasn’t born until the next day.

Well, day is the wrong word. Morning is even too generous. At 1:28 am New Year’s Eve morning we welcomed our sweet baby girl into our family. At 9 lbs 12 oz, she was by far my biggest baby (by a pound and a half). It took us till later that day to give her a name, but we finally settled on one.  We'll call her Lou on the blog.

Ella and Rico just adore her.  Rico constantly wants to “hold” her, which consists of me holding her on his lap; he hugs and kisses her, then squirms away.The last week has been an adjustment having three kids, but the reality hasn’t quite set in, since either Tom or my mom has been here nearly all the time. I am one lucky mama.