2.25.2009

Empty house

There are times as a mother when I'm ready to give my children away. When I've had it up to here, and I swear I'd never even miss them.

But really, I would.

For those who don't know, Tom had surgery on Friday; so after dropping him off at the hospital, I dropped Ella and Rico off with Grandma and Grandpa.

The original plan was to have them delivered back home sometime Saturday, but when my dad called to arrange the hostage release, he volunteered to keep them another night, bring them to church and then whisk them away for the rest of the day and bring them back at bedtime.

We accepted.

And how empty our house felt!

We still had Louie, of course, but one quiet little baby is nothing compared to the relative chaos that reigns in our house with a two- and three-year-old. Tom spent the entire time sitting around doing nothing recuperating, while I waited on him hand and foot. I can't even remember the last time we were able to relax so much.

In a way it was a nice break, and it reminded me how much I love Ella and Rico-man.

And even when they are driving me up the wall, I would miss them.

Eventually.

5 comments:

Lisa C said...

Oh how I relate and I only have 2 kids. I hope Tom's recovery goes well.

Mike and Tiffany said...

I hope Tom's recovered well! I hadn't heard he was getting surgery!! And I can totally relate with the children thing... We just got away for a couple days for the first time ever, and suprisingly, I totally enjoyed it... but did miss my girls a ton!!

The Strain's said...

that was so sweet of them! oh how i wish we had family that could take Issac for a night or two! (of course when he's older) I dont think id dare put that on someone else right now! the kid never sleeps!

Kristy said...

Heehee. Yeah, I've felt that. Both things, actually. I hope Tom gets feeling better soon.

Kevin and Eliza said...

Isn't that the truth. I totally know how you feel and yet I only have one. Soon to be two. :) When he went away while I was sick I really missed him. I hope your hubby heals quickly.