5.04.2009

Fate

Six years ago today was a Sunday.

I was recently returned from my freshman year at BYU, and days past my 19th birthday. I had just learned to count on my fingers binary style and the number 19 is the same as "I love you" in sign language. I had also just gotten new glasses, and was feeling especially cute. For those of you who might not have known me then, I was a bit of a flirt.

Okay, maybe more than a bit.

Each Fast Sunday, the Church Education System (CES) holds a fireside for young adults that they broadcast to the institutes around the world. The speaker that night was Russell M. Nelson, an apostle of the Lord. The topic, temples. {For a transcript of the talk, see here.}

I went with a group of girlfriends, and we sat near the front. As we were fairly early, we watched those coming in for people we knew, and cute boys. Because, really, what are CES firesides for, if not to meet cute boys?

Before too long, my friend Peter came in trailed by a cute boy I had never seen before. I caught Peter's attention, and he and his friend came to sit behind us.

Not one to wait for introductions, I turned around and introduced myself to this newcomer. Tom {last name}. Dark hair. Blue eyes. I asked if he was Canadian.

{It has been my experience that most dark haired, blue eyed people are Canadian, but this was not the case.}

I told him how old I was, showing him on my fingers. He was way too old for me: 23. He had served his mission in France. I love France. And French. And all things French. We chatted until the meeting started. Afterward, he asked for my number.

Yikes. I don't think I'd ever had a guy ask for my number. At least not one that cute!

So I gave it to him, and the rest is history.

{To the non-mormons, I apologize for the church lingo. I tried to link unfamiliar words to a glossary, so hopefully you can still get the picture. If you have any questions, email me, or check out this website.}

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

:)

I remember hearing about that... and then telling you to tell me when you got engaged ;)

So sweet. I cannot believe that it has been 6 years!

Rachael said...

That is too cute!

sarah said...

i love hearing how mormons have gotten together! they're always interesting stories that don't include bars! :)

Sara said...

Great story! And it was 6 years ago that Chad and I were newly engaged and he was staying at your house. It was fun getting to know you that summer and see the beginnings of your romance with Tom. Both Chad and I liked him from the start!

Valerie said...

There's always that ONE moment that you can trace everything back to. Then as you say, the rest is history. It will be 6 years for us too in July!