5.13.2009

I have a four-year-old!

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I am the proud owner mother of a four-year-old. When did I get that old?

Yesterday my sweet little Ella girl turned four, and she is quite proud of that.

We started out the day with a "Super Doctor Party" as Ella dubbed it. Ella had her "regliar checkout", Louie her four month check up, and Rico got a finger poke to check his iron levels (still too low.) My wonderful mother-in-law came down to join us and play entertainer so that I could actually talk to the doctor (novel concept, I know).

While the nurse was doing Rico's finger poke, Ella asked if she could have one too. Not if she HAD to have one, but if she COULD have one, please. The nurse said she'd ask the doctor. Then Ella asked if she could have shots. Again, not if she HAD to have them, but if she COULD.

The doctor said she could have four if she wanted. We could have waited and done them next year, but I figured we better do them when she wants them, because chances are that she won't want them next time. She was a great sport. She got a finger poke and four shots and didn't even cry until the last one (which the nurse mentioned was usually more painful than the others).

Since it was her birthday and she was such a good sport, she got four toys, and she and Rico got certificates for a free kids meal from Red Robin, which is Ella's favorite restaurant ever.

Then we went to Costco, to do some shopping and get some lunch. Ella always asks if we can eat lunch at Costco, so yesterday we got pizza (chicken bakes for the adults), lemonade, and frozen yogurt--chocolate vanilla swirl.

Then Rico got a nap, and Ella got some quality one-on-one time with Grandma, but not before Great-Grandma and Grandpa showed up with hand crocheted dolls for Ella and Rico, and Pauline showed up with cupcakes! We are so spoiled!

Dinner was per Ella's request: penne with hotdogs in cheese sauce, salad, and, of course, cupcakes for dessert. (Thanks for getting me out of making a cake, Pauline!)

Ella was a little too focused on "Present Time" for my liking, but really, it's her birthday, so I didn't worry about it too much. She got some new clothes, sandals, (but not flip flops like she wanted--you can't be too picky at Goodwill) some bunny ears, and Peter Pan on DVD. She's pretty much in love with Tinkerbell--so's Rico.

And we did all of that without taking a single picture. Am I a bad mom, or what?

Overall, it was a great day.

But now I'm the mother of a four-year-old.

PS We will be bringing cupcakes to playgroup, and having a family party on Saturday, so don't worry, I didn't totally get out of making cake!

4 comments:

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

No problem. I enjoy visiting with you and the kids. Talk about being a mother, since you come with experience.

Elisabeth said...

AHHH!! I meant to email you! Happy birthday, Ella! I have something for her, but since I Postal Service disfunctional, I will give it to you when I hopefully see you while I'm in town next week. By the way- I am in WA next week :) Let me know when you may be available. We are on the road, but I have been checking email in the evenings in the hotel. Love you guys!

Mike and Tiffany said...

I can't believe you have a four year old either, that's crazy! Where has the time gone??? My little baby turns 3 next week and even that's hard for me to believe! Sounds like a great day for a great little girl!

Happy Birthday, Ella! :)

Sara said...

Sounds like an excellent birthday. Four year olds are pretty dang cute!