6.15.2009

Book recommendations

I don't know how many of you pay attention to my "Recent Reads" sidebar, but I'm having a bit of an internal dilemma about it. While I don't mind doing the occasional book review on books I loved, I would hate for someone to read a book from there when I didn't even like it (rare), or thought it was just okay when there are so many good ones. I tried signing up for goodreads, but not everyone is on there, and I'm terrible at updating one more thing, so I'm trying to come up with a good, quick system to let you know what I thought of the books on my list without a full-fledged review of each one. Any suggestions? A quarterly update? A rating (out of 5 or something) after the title on my list? Do you even care?

While we're on the topic, I would just like to put in a plug for Wings by Aprilynne Pike and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Hello, good books! They are both the first in multi-book series (how do you pluralize that word?), though I will make a disclaimer that Wings is the only one out so far, so if you're not the patient type, wait a few years! :)

I think one problem that I have with writing reviews often is that I hate to give away the plot. I love reading books without having read so much as the back cover. I enjoy letting the plot unfold without any advance notice. I love getting recommendations from others, but will frequently skim over book reviews if I plan to read the book. Maybe that's just me.

3 comments:

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

I love to see what you have read and what you recommend on those books. I especially want to know if there are swear words in them. But I don't have a good suggestion on posting your recommend.

Jennifer said...

I am the same way with books. I just want to know if it's worth reading, from a reliable source of course, and I don't want to know anything else. I'm the same way with movies. I think a rating out of 5 would be good just do like *** next to the title or something. I am always interested to see what you are reading because you read more than anyone I have ever met.

The Strain's said...

One of my favorite books as a kid was Summer of the Monkeys. I believe it was written by the guy who wrote Where the Red Fern Grows. Its kind of childish but its a pretty thick book. My teacher read it to us in 3rd grade and I read it again by myself when I was older. A fun one to read to the kids when they are maybe a wee bit older.

Also, I know cheesy but the Nicholas Sparks books are good. Ya know "The Notebook" and all those other movies. The books are better.