6.30.2009

Half a Year of Reading

So here's my plan: every so often (monthly, quarterly, semi-yearly, or something like that) I'll post the books I've read followed by a rating system.

The first number is my enjoyment level; 0 being I hated it, 5 being I loved it.

The next number is my cleanliness rating. I know that different people have different standards of what they like/are willing to read, so this is my attempt to communicate that. 0 would be safe for anyone: no swearing, sensuality, limited violence etc. 5 would be more along the lines of a PG13 rating. This is to the best of my memory, and sex and language would get a higher rating than violence for me, because of where my comfort level is.

The third number is my attempt at guessing what age level would be appropriate. 0 would be your basic picture book, enjoyable at all ages, 3 maybe middle school, 5 adult level. Some of this is subject matter, some reading level. Like the other numbers, it is completely subjective.

So here's the 64 books I read during the first half of 2009. (This does not include duplicates for the obvious reason--if you count them, I read 68.) If you have any questions, or want details on a rating, feel free to comment or email me.

January:
Skipping Christmas, by John Grisham: 4.1.3
Antigone, par Jean Anouilh: 4.2.4 (you must be able to read in French...)
The Paradox of Choice, by Barry Schwartz: 4.0.4
Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow: 4.5.4

February:
The Little Lady Agency, by Hester Brown: 5.3.4
Little Lady, Big Apple, by Hester Browne: 5.3.4

March:
Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell: 3.0.4
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins: 5.2.4
How to Take the Ex out of Ex-boyfriend, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
Hate That Cat, by Sharon Creech: 4.0.2
Wives and Daughters, by Elizabeth Gaskell: 5.0.4
Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To-Do List, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
Playing the Field, by Janette Rallison: 4.0.2
Just One Wish, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
It's a Mall World After All, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3

April:
Keeping the Moon, by Sarah Dessen: 3.3.4
Bloom, by Elizabeth Scott: 3.5.4
Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella: 4.4.4
Dreamland, by Sarah Dessen: 4.4.4
Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (1-9), by Louise Rennison: 4.4.3
All's Fair in Love, War and High School, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
The Truth about Forever, by Sarah Dessen: 5.3.3
Perfect You, by Elizabeth Scott: 2.5.4
Just Listen, by Sarah Dessen: 5.4.4
Stealing Heaven, by Elizabeth Scott: 4.4.4
What the Doctor Ordered, by Sierra St. James (aka Janette Rallison): 5.0.4
Life, Love and the Pursuit of Free Throws, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
Lock and Key, by Sarah Dessen: 4.4.4
Time Riders by Sierra St. James: 4.0.4
This Lullaby, by Sarah Dessen: 3.5.4
That Summer, by Sarah Dessen: 3.3.3
Someone Like You, by Sarah Dessen: 3.4.4
Revenge of the Cheerleaders, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3

May:

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore: 5.3.4
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart: 5.3.3
The City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau: 5.0.2
Jellicoe Road, by Melina Marchetta: 5.4.4
Ten Cents a Dance, by Christine Fletcher: 5.4.4
Taken By Storm, by Angela Morrison: 4.4.4
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown: 4.4.5
The People of Sparks, by Jeanne DuPrau: 4.0.2
Masquerade, by Sierra St. James: 5.0.4
Trial of the Heart, by Sierra St. James: 5.0.4
The Spiderwick Chronicles (1-5), by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black: 5.0.2
The Prophet of Yonwood, by Jeanne DuPrau: 3.0.2

June:

The Diamond of Darkhold, by Jeanne DuPrau: 4.0.2
Impossible, by Nancy Werlin: 5.4.4
City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare: 5.3.3
Wings, by Aprilynne Pike: 5.1.3
Hattie Big Sky, by Kirby Larson: 4.0.3
Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown: 4.5.5
The Princess and the Hound: 4.0.3

6 comments:

Rachael said...

I loved the book The Hunger Games. It was soooo good!

Kevin and Eliza said...

My friend has a little book blog and The Hunger Games was one she really recommended. It must be really good. I look forward to reading some of the books you have mentioned. Thanks.

The Strain's said...

Holy smokes woman! when do you find the time!? I feel like I never have time. I dont mind reading, as long as its a good book. I just hate finding it, and then when I do its done within a few days and then I'm dreading finding another one. I just dont have time lately.... plus my hubby hates it when I read because I ignore him because I get so enthralled with them.

Sara said...

I can't believe you've read 64 books already this year! Amazing.

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

Wow, I am amazed at allllllllll the books you have read, especially having three active kids. Hands down

Emily said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I just came to your blog to look at your recent reads because I really want to read some good books. This post is perfect! I'm excited to try some of your top-rated.