7.15.2009

How did it go?

HOW did it GO?!?!

It went like this:

I woke up Saturday morning and donned my running clothes. It was nice to be able to sleep in a little more before running, but that also meant it was much warmer than I'm used to. The air is generally quite nippy at 5:30 am, but had warmed up quite a bit by 8:30. We got the kids fed and ready, and headed down to the Three Friends Fishing Hole. {I'm not really sure what that is, but that's where the run was.}

After passing 500 million bikers (which we later found out was the STP) Tom dropped me off and went to find parking. I met up with Laura and Sandra (a couple friends who were also running) and chatted nervously until it was time to run. Tom and the kids rejoined us once they were parked, and took a lovely before picture:
Then it was time to go. The crowd at the starting line made it hard to get going. I was near the back of the line up, so it took a minute or two before the crowd thinned enough that I could really get moving. {Not that I move very fast, but I was jogging as opposed to walking.}

The race was a down and back on the Green River trail. That mean it was nice and flat, and even fairly shaded. There were a couple of bikers, walkers, and joggers that were surprised to see their morning exercise interrupted by such a large crowd, but they were friendly and shared the road quite nicely.

I was definitely nowhere near the front, and one guy actually finished twice before I did (I think he ran the second time as a cool down), but I was pleased with my time of 35:05, considering I probably lost a full minute on the start, and my halfway time was around 18:20.
After cooling down (and dripping ice water on my shirt--that's not ALL sweat, though there was plenty of that, too) Tom took a beautiful after shot, and we headed back downtown to wander around Cornucopia Days while I looked so glamorous.
While it may not have been the most wonderful morning of my memory, I'm glad I did it, and I look forward to doing it again.

{10 bonus points for anyone who can name the movie the opening lines are from.}

11 comments:

Rachael said...

That's awesome! I'm proud of you for doing it.

Elisabeth said...

I am so proud of you!!! That is a great time and you look really good in the after picture- you should see some of mine. You don't have purple cheek syndrome like me :) That is so awesome. You should seriously consider the Susan B Komen run. It has a nice inspirational/uplifitng element to it that is incredible. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

Way to go Janelle. Maybe I'll get the courage to do it with you next year. Tom even said I should start running with you...yeah right. Its too early for me.

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

eventhough I wake up for jacob at any hours of the night/early morning.

Chelsi said...

Janelle, that is awesome. I wish that I had the guts to do something like that, but I am afraid I wouldn't finish! And the line sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it!

Sharing said...

Getting out and doing the race is a huge accomplishment in itself. It doesn't matter if you're fast or slow (don't worry about the guy who ran twice) -- it's the process that is important as with most things in life.

Amber said...

Way to go. That's awesome to hear you finished!

The Strain's said...

so you didnt do it shirtless? tehehehe

Janette Rallison said...

Good job! I can run for aproximately 4 minutes before I want someone to put me out of my misery.

Sara said...

You are my hero Janelle. Awesome job!

Sara said...

So I'm totally thinking about doing the couch to 5K and then doing the BYU homecoming 5K in October. You are seriously my inspiration here.

Any words of advice?