7.01.2009

Sweet!

Or not so much.

When Kristy went without dessert for a month, I thought she was a little bit crazy.

But I also had the strange desire to join her. But not enough to make the jump.

However, as I was laying in bed Sunday night, not sleeping (as usual), I decided it was time. July will be dessertless. Why? I'm not sure. But it may have had something to do with the fact that on Sunday, I grabbed a cookie for breakfast as I was running out the door to church, had cookies between meetings after church, and more cookies after dinner. (Yes, after, not for dinner.) I was feeling a little cookied out.

And of course, I would choose a month with 31 days, but so be it.

This dessert-fast, or detox as Kristy so aptly named it, will prohibit all desserts of a sugary nature, but not necessarily all things sweet. A little brown sugar on my oatmeal is still allowed. As is jam on my peanut butter sandwiches. However, peanut butter-marshmellow sandwiches with milk chocolate chips are forbidden. As is toast smothered in Nutella. And candy, in all it's varieties.

As you may guess, I'll need a little support. I've already enlisted my wonderful husband, who all but promised not to make any tempting treats. While I'm not asking you to join me, or even to not eat treats in my presence, I am requesting that you not offer me desserts, or buy me chocolates, or anything of that nature. At least until August 1st.

And wish me luck.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Way to go! I am not going to watch TV in July--maybe if I have the will power to do that, I will be able to muster up the will power to go without sweets...Good luck!

DLHardy said...

Way to go Janelle - way to inspire us all. I promise not to tempt you!

Kristy said...

Wahoo! Such fun (well, fun...not the right word exactly). But you'll feel so good and healthy and STRONG like you can do anything when the month is over. YEAH!

Lisa C said...

I went one week last week and it was a good experience. It was easier than I thought it would be...but it wasn't a month.

Rachael said...

Good luck! I'll support you from here.

The Strain's said...

WHY DID YOU PICK THE SUMMER!?!?! strawberry shortcake... how could you!?!? id pick a yucky winter month w/o fresh fruit to eat. I wouldnt last a minute! hahaha! why are you doing such a silly thing? i heard if you cut out pop you can lose 10lbs in a year, i wonder how much one could lose w/o sweets??? now im curious.... i really should cut back, but I CANT!!! i'm too weak.

Sarah said...

I think the summer is the best time to do it because there are so many good fruits available. They are so sweet in and of themselves and can help when you are craving something not allowed.... I have wanted to do this again, I went a year and a half last time, the first week is the hardest. I have wanted to do this again.... I think I will join you! Bring on the sugarless smoothies and fresh strawberries and watermelon!! ;) You are an impressive woman!

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

Wow, no dessert. That's hard. Good luck.