8.05.2009

Can somebody please explain this?

Sometimes I just don't get it. Life just doesn't make sense.

Like in high school, I wore makeup everyday. And not just eye makeup like I do now, but full-on concealer, foundation, powder, blush--the works. And I never washed my face. I mean, I would rinse the makeup off in the shower, but I didn't shower everyday, and I went to bed with makeup on nearly every night.

And I had perfect skin. (So I'm really not sure why I was wearing so much makeup in the first place--teenagers, bah!)

Then I got to college, and realized that makeup was way too much effort and stopped wearing so much, and less often. I'd like to say that I started washing my face regularly, but that would be lying.

And I broke out like nothing else. In fact, there was a while where one side of my face was so riddled with bumps that I looked like a before and after picture for some acne treatment. We even drew a line down my face and took a picture, though not with my camera, so I don't have a copy, or I'd share. (Lisa, if you have one, feel free to send it my way.)

Wouldn't it make sense to have better skin when I put less junk on it?

Another, more current situation.

I had braces, like many of you, I'm sure. And while I brushed my teeth at least once a day all through high school (you really can't go to school without brushing your teeth if you want people to talk with you), I flossed, like, never. Even after I got the braces off, I still never flossed.

And I never had cavities.

Since I got married nearly five years ago, I've only skipped flossing twice. Or maybe three times, I'm not really counting. And I brush my teeth way better than I did in high school, but I just got back from the dentist yesterday, and I get to go back next week to have not one, not two, but three cavities filled.

Yes, they are small. And yes, one is actually to replace one of those lovely metal fillings that I've had since before I can remember. But really? Cavities? Why now?

If someone could shed some light on this conundrum, I would really appreciate it.

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Ooh, I'd better not start flossing...

Becky said...

It's your age, just ask Stephanie.
I love reading your blog. Your children are beautiful.

Emily said...

Ah! I'm facing the same dilemmas. Although I don't think my hygiene habits have changed much over the years, I break out WAY more often now than I did when I was a teenager, and I never had cavities until AFTER high school.

The Strain's said...

i wish i could tell ya! i broke out like mad when i was pregnant, and for awhile after. its kinda gone away though, but i too just had cavities filled the other week. never had many when i was a kid. although utah hasnt always had floride so i blame utah. do you use a floride rinse? might help strengthen your teeth. listerine makes a mouthwash/floride now that freshens and protects.

Sarah said...

stop flossing and go back to once a day brushing... that should do the trick!

Alicia said...

I have some insight for you. My story is WAY sadder; sorry to one-up you :). I never had a cavity until I went to the dentist last year. Granted, it had been over two years since I had gone to the dentist (crummy student insurance), but that did not sufficiently explain the 20 or so cavities that I had. Yes, TWENTY. I actually don't know the offical count; the hygienist didn't want to make me cry. They questioned me about my eating habits, sure that I am a soda or candy junkie. Uh, nope and nope. So pretty much I attribute it to pregnancy and breastfeeding. My babies stole all my calcium, or something like that. So with baby #2, I took a calcium supplement in addition to my pre-natal vitamins, which have calcium anyway. Sorry for the novel. Hope your cavity count remains at 3! I was so proud of my perfect teeth, too...

Grant said...

Okay, let's get a professional's opinion in here...that would be me, for those of you not picking up on my subtle hint ;) You broke out because you got rid of your protective shield. All your make up used to shield your face from anything ever getting to it, including the sun. Now that it is gone the oils and dirts from the environment have unrestrained access to your face and pores. I would go into my scientific calculations, but I don't want to lose you in my genius.

As for the cavities, I second Sarah's vote, though the baby stealing calcium was a provocative train of thought. I am still cavity free, so I am banking on the lack of attention theology. Your teeth don't bother you when you don't pay attention to them. But when you starting devoting time and effort to them every day they feel like they have to be doing something to keep that attention coming their way. Maybe if you weaned them off of the attention...it could work...