10.26.2009

The one that started it all

As I mentioned before, I don't like soup. Or, at least I didn't for a very long time. The following recipe is probably the first soup that I really actually liked.

And for good reason.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

In a 3 quart sauce pan, sauté 1 cup chopped onion with 2 cloves minced garlic in a little olive oil.
(I buy minced garlic at Costco, and I put in a whole big scoop--yum!)
Add 3 cups chicken broth.
(I use water and chicken bouillon, because I'm cool like that.)
Add 1 lb broccoli florets.
(I just pack in as much broccoli as I can, making sure it can all boil in the broth.)
Boil/simmer 10 minutes.
Mix 1/3 (+) cup flour with enough milk to make a smooth paste.
Add more milk to bring the total milk to 2 cups, making sure to mix it well so there are no lumps.
Add the milk mixture to the soup and stir it in.
Heat until it thickens.
Add some pepper and grated cheddar: the more, the merrier.
(Unless you're going for the healthy thing, then probably less is more. I'd guess I use about a cup +/-)
Put 1/3 of the soup in the blender and purée, then return to the pot.

Perfect in homemade bread bowls. Mmm, mmm, good. And healthy, too.

~~~

As per Pauline's request, I give you

Crusty Soup Bowls

2 T yeast
1 T sugar
2 cups warm water
2 t salt
5 cups flour
cornmeal

Combine yeast, sugar and water and let it sit. Add salt and 3 cups flour. Beat 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining flour to make stiff dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise till double, about 30 minutes. (I am inevitably in a hurry, so I turn my oven on warm, turn it off, and let the dough rise in there. It goes much more quickly.) Punch down and divide into 4-6 pieces (depending on the size you want). Form each piece into a ball and place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise till double. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool. Cut off tops, scoop out bread to make a bowl. Pour hot soup or chili into bread bowl and serve.

4 comments:

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

Yummy. I'm going to try that out. Well, now I need the homemade bread bowls recipe. Is it the same as your bread sticks?

mrs. olson said...

Thanks for the bread bowl recipe. I think I'll hurry and try to make them for some potato soup we're having tonight. Sounds perfect on a rainy fall evening.

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

(Laughing to myself)Thanks for the bread bowl recipes. I wish it was that easy.

Sara said...

Bread bowls are the best.