10.07.2009

The return of Soup Monday

As you might remember, I'm a fan of Pizza Friday because it gives me an excuse not to think.

And we all know I'm a fan of not thinking.

So, during the winter months I like to add in Soup Monday. It doesn't quite work year round the way pizza does, because somehow the last thing I want to eat in the middle of July is a warm, hearty soup.

"But wait, Janelle!"
You might say, (especially you, Mom) "You don't like soup!"

It is true. Soup and I generally don't get along. But I am slowly and surely building a repertoire of soups that I do like.

And so, in honor of the inauguration of the 2009-2010 soup season, I will share with you my version of Taco Soup.

{I would be remiss if I did not credit my wonderful aunt Debbie for the original recipe, but I've changed it enough that she might not recognize it.}

1/2 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1/2 can tomato sauce
1 can water
1 can corn (I fill an empty can with frozen corn)
1/4 cup taco seasoning (recipe calls for "one package" but I buy it in bulk at Costco)

The recipe also called for 1 can olives, but I'm not such a fan, but Tom likes to throw some in his bowl. Also, you could use other beans, those are just my faves.

Brown the meat (you could throw some onions in if you were in the mood), add the rest of the ingredients and heat. Don't drain the beans or corn (if you use canned), but do drain the olives if you add them. Could also be made in a crockpot: brown the meat and toss everything in to heat.

Serve with grated cheese, chopped fresh cilantro (yum!), chips, sour cream (yuck!) etc.

Add a salad, or maybe some cornbread, and voila; dinner.

Also makes great left-overs. I don't know if I've tried freezing it, but you should be able to.

{And yes, I realize that today is not Monday, but I did make this on Monday, and was just emailing the recipe to a friend with whom I shared a bowl, and I thought I would broaden my audience.}

2 comments:

Mike and Tiffany said...

I'm so glad you posted this, and hope you'll post your recipe each week! I love soups, but am actually pretty picky! I always love new recipes! :)

The Strain's said...

hmm that sounds good! im picky too and i dont like all the onions and peppers and yucky stuff in my soups! ill have to give this one a shot soon! thanks for sharing it!!! oh and quick question, did you use canned beans?