12.31.2009

2009 Reading, part II

Another six months has come and gone, and here are the (30) books I've read.  I'm not sure what happened after August, but my reading went way down.  I think part of it has to do with the fact that Louie no longer sleeps all the time, and gets around and into everything.  I had a lot more reading time when she was stationary, not to mention always eating or sleeping.

Quick review on the scoring system: The first number is my totally subjective preference rating, the higher, the better (out of 5). Next is the cleanliness rating, including language, violence, sensuality, etc. 0=squeaky clean, 5=PG13. The last number is recommended age level in my opinion: 2=elementary 3=Jr. High, 4=High school, 5=adult.

See the first half of the year here.

Once again, feel free to ask for a more detailed review or explanation of rating.

July:
Princess of the Midnight Ball, by Jessica Day George: 5.0.3
I love Jessica Day George.
The Actor and the Housewife, by Shannon Hale: 5.1.5
Alternately laughing out loud and bawling my eyes out. So good.
The Little Lady Agency and the Prince, by Hester Browne: 5.3.4
Perfect ending to a great series.
Along for the Ride, by Sarah Dessen: 5.3.4
One of my favorite Sarah Dessens. And I loved many of them.
My Fair Godmother, by Janette Rallison: 5.0.3
We already know how I love Janette Rallison.
The Last Olympian, by Rick Riordan: 5.1.3
Another great ending to another phenomenal series.
If I Stay, by Gayle Forman: 4.5.4
More language than I like, but so powerful and thought provoking.
Mira, Mirror, by Mette Ivie Harrison: 3.0.3
Meh. It was good.
The Monster in Me, by Mette Ivie Harrison: 3.1.3
Abrupt ending, but decent.
Dragon Slippers, by Jessica Day George: 5.0.3
Great.
Dragon Flight, by Jessica Day George: 5.0.3
And wonderful.
Dragon Spear, by Jessica Day George: 5.0.3
And did I mention that I love Jessica Day George?

August:

The Princess and the Bear, by Mette Ivie Harrison: 3.0.3
I really want to love Mette Ivie Harrison, but I'm not quite able to get past like.
City of Ashes, by Cassandra Clare: 5.3.4
Love, worship, etc. Can't wait for the third.
A Year Down Yonder, by Richard Peck: 4.2.3
Great historical fiction. Quite humorous!
The Luxe, by Anna Godbersen: 5.3.4
A side of American history I've never seen before, but loved! And I want the dress on the cover.
The Language of Bees, by Laurie R. King: 5.3.4
I love this series, but the last three words of the book are "To Be Continued..." and it was just published-gah!
The Summoning, by Kelley Armstrong: 4.3.4
I seem to be reading a lot of books of this genre: the modern fantasy with an emphasis on the "dark" side... and for good reason, I quite enjoy them.
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, by Sophie Kinsella: 4.5.5
Hilarious. Though I must admit I find myself cringing at Becky's logic...
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, by Beth Fantaskey: 5.4.4
More modern fantasy. Lame title; good book.
Shopaholic Ties the Knot, by Sophie Kinsella: 4.5.5
More laughing out loud.
City of Glass, by Cassandra Clare: 5.4.4
I'm pretty sure we know how I feel about this one. Lovelovelove! Great ending to the trilogy. Please go check out City of Bones right now if you have not already read these books.
Rumors, by Anna Godbersen: 4.5.4
Envy, by Anna Godbersen: 4.5.4
By halfway through this book I was ready for the "happily ever after" already, but there is still one more book!

September:
Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull: 4.2.3
This book took me for.e.ver to read. I don't know if it was me or the book.

October:
Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke: 4.3.3
It must have been me, because this one did too, even with Catching Fire sitting on my shelf.
Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins: 5.4.4
Love, love and also LOVE Suzanne Collins.  The ending killed me, because I have to wait for the next one...

November:
Forest Born, by Shannon Hale: 5.2.3
Shannon Hale is great.  This is not my favorite of her books, I would be hard pressed to pick one, but it was a solid story with strong characters and a thought-provoking plot.  
Fire, by Kristin Cashore: 4.4.4
A little more focus on physical relationships than I appreciate, but it was done tastefully, and was overall a great book. 


December:
The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown: 4.4.4
Interesting and intriuging, but quite a bit of crazy talk presented very logically, not to mention some disturbing violence, but you know that if you've read Dan Brown before.  The end was a little slow, since the action climaxed early.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You're a machine! Out of curiosity, how do you decide what book to read? Where do you hear about them usually?

Jennifer said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's reading went down with the end of the year. I was only trying to read 4 or 5 a month. I was at one or two by December too. I don't think I ever read 12 or more in one month though. You're ridiculous! I love these book posts, by the way.