1.08.2010

Elastigirl

I've always been fairly flexible.  I could always reach farther than most on the "sit-and-reach," could touch the floor without bending my knees, and could overlap my hands further on the back-scratcher stretch. (You know the one where you reach one hand over your shoulder, and the other behind your back and try to touch them together?)

When I was 20 I got in car accident (totally not my fault, but that's another story) I went to the chiropractor.  The assistant who tested me said I had the lumbar (lower back) flexibility of a teenage gymnast.  Huh.  Who knew?

But I've been wondering if I still am.  It's been three kids and five years later, and I really have no point of reference for how flexible I am compared to "normal."  I can still do the splits, which I know puts me on the flexible side of average, but of late I've found a good back stretch and I want to know if it falls in the realm of common physical ability.

So, will you do me a favor?

Sometime when you're warmed up (I've never tried this cold), lay on your back, stretch your legs back over your head, (so your weight is mostly on your shoulders,) bend your knees and try to touch your knees to the ground beside your ears.

Can you do this too, or am I just abnormal?

5 comments:

Lisa C said...

I can almost do it (not particularly warmed up) once I get past how scary it is and I'm a little on the not-so-stretchy end of the spectrum.

But you're still abnormal...

Stephanie said...

I can do it. So you are just as abnormal as me.

Anonymous said...

Why do I have to do this to determine if you are abnormal?

Kirstin said...

I can do it 7 months pregnant...but I WAS a teenage gymnast!

Oh, and I'm not sure if you knew I was stalking your blog, but I am and I love it.

The end.

Elisabeth said...

I can do it. I did used to watch tv sort of like that as a kid...