1.04.2010

Neglected and Resolved: a post in parts

Neglected: This blog.

You can always tell when Tom is home, because my blog gets neglected.  This is in reverse to many I know, but for me, the husband home=less blogging.  And here's why: I spend less time at the computer, because I spend more time with him.  Also when I have a moment, he is frequently on the computer.  Plus, we have been running around like crazy people and have hardly been home these past two weeks.

Neglected: Christmas card.

Though quite frankly, I never have sent one, so it's not that shocking.  Had I sent one, we would have used to these two pictures.



I was rooting for this family shot, but Tom vetoed it, since I photoshopped happy faces on everyone (except Caroline, but I did photoshop her from a different picture, too).

 

Neglected: Christmas post.

We had a most excellent Christmas.  It all started with Jon's homecoming.  He is pretty much great.  Then Grant came home the next day (also great).  This, plus Tom being home, plus the holidays was a perfect recipe for spending an inordinate amount of time at my parents' house.  I think we put more miles on our van in the last two weeks than the two months prior.  And I feel good about it.  Also we got to meet/spend time with Becca and Bella which was fun all around.

Ella does not believe in Santa.  (I guess that's not surprising, since he's never come to our house.)  Before Christmas she straight-up asked me if he was real, (we had avoided that question in the past,) and I couldn't lie to her face.  I didn't fully deny his existence, but explained where he came from and what "some people believe," but she walked away with a firm belief that he wasn't real.  But that doesn't mean she doesn't love him anyway.

In a similar vein, we had quite an amusing conversation after Christmas.  Since she "knew" Santa didn't fill our stockings, she couldn't figure out who had.  (Since, of course, I couldn't have done it.)  She was convinced for a little while that the Abominable Snowman must have done it, but I think she's finally got it all figured out.

My favorite gift I gave was either Jon's coat, Grant's shirt, or the necklaces to the Grandmas.  I might post more about those later.

{check out that amazing necklace! Made with love by little hands}

I received too many wonderful gifts to decide on a favorite, but so far, my most used gift has to be the amazing green scarf from Jon.  I LOVE it! 


Neglected: Little Lou's birthday.

Or, more specifically, a post about Louie's birthday.  She turned one on Thursday.  It hardly seems like a year has passed since she was born.  Several times this break I've thought to myself, "I'm so glad I'm not nine months pregnant," and "I'm so glad that it is raining right now, and not doing a repeat of snow-mageddon." Especially both at the same time.


But back to Louie.  We had a birthday party for her at my parents' where we did the traditional "give the baby an entire cake and see what happens" but she was really not that into it.  She would take small, bite-sized pieces from me, but would not touch the cake itself, or take anything bigger from me.  Mostly she just scratched her belly. (Which she does any time her shirt is off.)  She did get a little more into it once we put her in a chair and gave her a normal piece.



In other Lou-bug news, she said her first word(s) on Wednesday.  I noticed she said "day duh" after I gave her something and it sounded remarkably like "thank you," but I figured it was fluke and went on my merry way.  Then she did it again.  And again.  And again.  It seemed a little too consistent to just be coincidence, so her first word is officially "thank you."  What a polite baby.  I would also swear she has called me "mama" a couple of times in the last few days, and I couldn't be happier.  But I also could be imagining things.

Neglected: New Year's post

We spent New Year's Eve with my in-laws this year.  After the aforementioned shindig chez mes parents, we moseyed over to the in-laws where we had a scrumptious meal and put the kids to bed.  Then we played some games, bawled through "The Christmas Shoes" (the movie, not the song,) (and the bawling may have just been me...), and rang in the new year at 12:00 before heading straight to bed.

New Year's Day we (read: Tom and I; we left the kids with the in-laws.) headed back to my parents' for a group date with my parents, my brothers, and their dates. (My brothers' dates, that is.  My parents went together.)  We made an intense putt-putt course in my parents house and yard, ate at Subway, and made T-shirts.  It was ridiculously fun.

But now we are back to real life.  Tom's back at work, the boys are back at BYU, and I'm back to being healthy. (I ate WAAAAAY to much junk this break, and I loved it.)

In celebration of the New Year I have a couple of resolutions that I want to get down in writing, and what better place than the blog? So, without further ado,

Resolved: To continue being more healthy.

I made a goal last year to be healthier by exercising and eating better, and it paid off, not just in the way I look, but in the way I feel.  I want to continue on that path, especially focusing on portion control as I wean Louie and eat for only one person. (Novel concept, that.)

Resolved: To better study my scriptures.

I have never been good at studying anything.  I'm good at reading, good at listening, and ridiculously good at test-taking, so I never had cause to study much at school (you can hate me if you want).  Therefore, I never really learned how to study.  I feel like I need to learn how, and apply to my scripture reading, so I get more out of what I read.  I would appreciate any tips.

Resolved: To be more patient with my children.  

I love kids.  Hence, I have three of them.  But sometimes I think they should operate on my time schedule.  Those of you who have children know that this does not usually work out.  So this year I want to make a concerted effort to work on their time schedule, adjusting myself, not expecting too much of them.

Resolved: To be accountable for the aforementioned goals.

Each month, I plan on doing a resolution review here to check in and see how I'm doing, but also to keep these goals somewhere near the forefront of my brain.

Post edit: I'm thinking monthly would be a little excessive.  I'll change that to quarterly.