1.07.2010

What to do?

The other day my mother-in-law brought me some produce from her garden.  There were some carrots easily 3+ inches across (that's diameter, not length!) and a butternut squash.  I know what to do with carrots, even ginormous ones, but I had no idea what to do with the squash.

So it sat on my counter. 

And sat.

And sat.

The only way I've ever had butternut squash is baked: cut it in half and stick it in the oven.  And for a squash tolerator, that just wasn't going to cut it.  If I'm going to eat it, I might as well make it taste good.  So yesterday I finally googled butternut squash recipes.

I found lots of recipes for soup, but the last time I made squash soup, we ended up throwing away the leftovers.

And I don't throw away leftovers. 

There were also lots of recipes for butternut squash casserole that put me greatly in mind of candied sweet potatoes, and while it might taste good, I knew that wouldn't cut it.

I finally settled on "Butternut Squash Au Gratin" which looked like a squash quiche-like dish that didn't sound too bad.  But I wasn't super excited.  I decided to look one more time and found "Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash."

Hello!

You might not know this about me, but garlic and I get along REALLY well.  In fact, I think we're BFFs.  So any recipe that starts with "Garlicky" is worth a try in my book.

And it was.

I think it was my favorite dish I've made all year.

So here's the recipe.

The only thing I did differently is that I used dried parsley (2 t instead of 2 T) and probably quadrupled the garlic.  {I say probably, because I buy minced garlic at Costco.  The container says that 1/2 tsp=1 clove and I used two heaping spoonfuls.  So there was lots of garlic.  Yum.} Also, I stirred in the cheese after it had baked for 45 minutes.  The directions aren't clear when to add that.

Tom, Lou and I loved it, Ella liked it okay, and Rico refused to try it (shocker!). 

Definitely worth a try if you have butternut squash on hand, though I bet it would also taste good with carrots, yams, sweet potatoes, or other squash options.

And yes, Kim, I served it with chicken.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Woohoo!!! I'm full of great ideas!