3.23.2010

Entertainment Tonight

I've been asked a couple of times how I entertain my kids all day, since they don't watch TV and only watch one movie per week.

The short answer is: I don't know.

The slightly longer answer is: I don't.  They entertain themselves.

(Of course, as I type this, Ella just walked into the room and is chanting "I want to play with you, Mommy!") 

But for the most part, Ella and Rico are great at entertaining each other and/or themselves.  Last night while I was making dinner for example, they played happily in their room.  First doctor (I could hear Ella saying "Please, doctor, I NEED two more shots!), then they built bunk beds out of a couple chairs and a box, then turned that into an airplane.  Rico will spend hours doing puzzles.  Ella could color every piece of paper in this house and still not be done.  They also enjoy playing blocks, cars, play dough, reading, drawing/coloring (or scribbling, if you're Rico), and many other things. 

Even Louie is amazingly independent.  She loves being with the big kids and watching/playing with them, but she frequently crawls off to the toybox and plays on her own, or over to the bookshelf and "reads" book after book.  Also, she takes two naps a day.  That makes for much less time for entertainment.

I'm not trying to say that I don't play with them, because I do, but they are quite impressive in their ability to amuse themselves while I get things done.  And when I play with them, they are usually the ones with the idea for what we're going to play.  (And since they are related to me, they are frequently quite opinionated.)

3 comments:

mrs. olson said...

I think it's so important for them to learn independence. Hazel became a tv addict lately so I need to just stop it before it gets worse!

Bethany said...

Sounds like they have great imaginations! Can't wait for mine to be old enough to play together.

Chelsi said...

Way to go!!! I need to turn the tv off more. I just like the background noise and feeling like I am not always talking to myself! Something I need to work on! Peyton is starting to get more creative and it makes me smile!