3.29.2010

Stuck

When we moved into our house two and half years ago, we happily noted that the doorknobs were located slightly higher on the door than normal.  This meant that while Ella could open the doors at others' homes, she could not do so at our home.

Which was great.

However, once Ella could reach the doorknobs, the doorknob to her bedroom began to stick.  It would turn a little, but wouldn't engage.

So, like every good daughter would do, I called my daddy.

He took off the doorknob, added some graphite, and reattached it, and it worked marvelously.

For a few days.

But it quickly returned to its sticky ways, and once, while trying to open it to let Ella out, (who was inside freaking out that she couldn't open the door) Tom turned too hard and we heard a loud crack.  We took the doorknob off, and got the door open fairly quickly, but it was obvious that it was not repairable.  To solve the problem more quickly, we moved the knob from the hall closet to her bedroom door.  We bought a new knob for the closet, and I lamented that we had to buy a gold one to match the other knobs. 

A few months passed, and soon, it was the bathroom door.

We quickly replaced the knob, since being stuck in the bathroom would be an unpleasant experience for anyone.

Just recently I've noticed that the kids' (Ella and Rico's) doorknob is getting sticky.  I've put it on my mental to-do list, but I haven't made it to Home Depot for a new knob.

But today, while Ella was having her rest time in Louie's room, she asked me to bring her water cup.  I filled it up and brought it over, and could not get the door open.  The knob would turn and turn, but would not open.

Lovely.

Finally, I got it to open, gave her her water, and told her not to close the door all the way.

Two minutes later I heard the door click shut and her cry of dismay.

Again, I tried and tried to get it open, but with no luck.

I grabbed my handy screwdriver and took the knob part off, but could not get the latch mechanism to budge.  Ella was calm (thank goodness) but despite my attempts with pliers, keys, brute force, credit card, butter knife, I could not get the door open.

I emailed Tom to apprise him of the situation, but he didn't have any brilliant ideas. 

I walked outside and had Ella climb up on the windowsill to unlock the window.  I removed the screen, and with my help from the outside, she opened the window and I pulled her out.

After depositing her on the couch, I went back through the window to see if I would have better luck from the other side. 

Finally, after wedging a butter knife between the door and the jamb from the inside of the door, I was able to use a credit card to successful open the door from the outside.

So now (and hour later), Lou has no doorknob, and I will have replaced 4 of the six of the interior doorknobs in my house.  But since it was one at a time, they are all still ugly gold.

Grrr.