4.07.2010

The flip side

Everyone can tell you the benefits of weight loss.  They are splashed all over TV, magazines, everywhere you turn--ad nauseaum.

"You'll look better.  You'll feel better.  You'll sleep better.  You'll have more energyLess health problemsMore friends.  You'll live longer.  Yada, yada, yada. The list is seemingly endless.

But few will tell you the other side of the story.

Having been there, done that, let me share with you a little of the dark side of weight loss.

You'll be cold.  Now I've always been colder than the average person.  Even when pregnant (when most people complain of being hot ALL. THE. TIME.) I was still chilly more often than not.  But now?  I'm FREEZING constantly.  At one point I was wearing 2-3 layers (including long underwear and socks) to bed, and still needed an extra blanket, on top of my extra blanket.  Now that's it's warmed up a bit it's not as bad, but I'm still colder than I've ever been on a regular basis.

Your clothes will not fit.  While you may see this as a bonus, that's only good if you can afford to go out and acquire a whole new wardrobe.  And beyond that, have the time to go shopping without three little helpers.

You'll have major knee pain.  Maybe this one is just me, but I'm a side sleeper.  And until recently, my knees were fine with that.  But then I got rid of the extra padding between my legs, and pretty soon I couldn't sleep because my knees were knocking together and causing large amounts of pain.  I now require a pillow.

You'll need to resize your wedding ring.  I've already lost one ring (NOT my wedding ring) because it just plain fell off and I didn't notice.  So far I've gotten away with not spending the $75-80 it's going to cost because my band is slightly smaller than my solitaire, but it spins like nobody's business.

Your skin does not shrink at the same rate you do.  This is especially noticeable in certain areas where fat accumulation is not completely a bad thing.  If you know what I mean.  Because that seems to be one area where you will lose the most.  And that leads to an excessive amount of "drape" which is not desirable.  Or attractive.

In short, it's not all it's cracked up to be.  It's just not for me, and I've decided that instead of trying to maintain my current healthy weight, I'd rather turn around and gain 35-45 pounds in the next seven or so months and reassess from there.

I'll let you know how it goes.

10 comments:

Jarom and Heidi Taylor said...

Congrats on being pregnant! That's super exciting! :)

mrs. olson said...

Awesome!!!

Bethany said...

I was wondering if that 7 mo. was a clue to something. Sounds like it is!

Alisha said...

Congrats! Nice to hear that someone else's weight gain over that 7 mo period is not the "recommended" 25-35 lbs.

Mike and Tiffany said...

Umm.. Rumor has it you're having twins... can you confirm this?!?!?!

Mike and Tiffany said...

Oh, and a huge congratulations!!! When's your due date?

Chelsi said...

I am with you on the "It's not all it's cracked up to be." I hate that my clothes don't fit and I don't want to have to buy new ones, and my knees hurt all the time too, and Kevin says my bottom is too boney when I sit on his lap. I don't know how skinny people survive!
On the flip side, congrats on a new little one. Hopefully things will turn around and you will be more comfortable! And I totally agree with you on the drapage part, and I'm not even as big as you are!!!

Sara said...

I'm so excited for yoU! Congratulations!

Sonnet and Cameron said...

You are so funny! Congrats on #4, so exciting!

Kristy said...

Oh Janelle!

A. I don't think I ever switched my google reader over to your new blog and I MISSED YOU! Apologies.

2. CONGRATU-freaking-LATIONS!

C. I love you. :)