4.01.2010

Quarter One!

Reading:

I'm not going to lie, my reading has been meager this quarter, but I'm okay with that.

Scoring system review: The first number is my totally subjective preference rating, the higher, the better (out of 5). Next is the cleanliness rating, including language, violence, sensuality, etc. 0=squeaky clean, 5=PG13. The last number is recommended age level in my opinion: 2=elementary 3=Jr. High, 4=High school, 5=adult.


January: 
The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester: 3.1.3
Read this for book club.  Liked but not loved it.
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat, by Lynne Jonell: 5.1.3
Excellent, hilarious, unexpected.


February: 
Enthusiasm, by Polly Shulman: 5.2.4 
I am very enthusiastic about this book.  I loved it! 
Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? Final Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, by Louise Rennison: 4.4.4 
Hilarious! Like laughing-until-you're-crying funny.  If raunchy humor bothers you, this is not the series for you.   
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, by Jessica Day George: 5.0.3 
So beautifully written.  I love Jessica Day George.

March:   
The Everafter, by Amy Huntley: 4.4.4 
Beautiful and sad.  But happy.  
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith: 5.3.5 
Great book. I should read the next one.
The Green Glass Sea, by Ellen Klages: 5.0.3 
Sobbed.  Loved it.  Different viewpoint on a time period I've read a lot about. 

Resolutions:

If you recall, I made some resolutions and one of them was to hold myself accountable for them, by giving quarterly updates here. I think I'll give myself a totally subjective rating between 1 and 10, with 10 being perfection.

To continue being more healthy: 8
I've done great, especially with the motivation of the health competition that ended three weeks ago.  But since then, I've been less than great.  It's hard to be motivated when I'm not accountable to a large group on a weekly basis.  I haven't been horrible; there's just room for improvement.

To better study my scriptures: 7
I have been doing much better at this.  I've gone through several methods, from writing something down each time I read, to reading with a pencil to mark meaningful passages, to just straight focused reading.  There are benefits to each, and I like changing it up occasionally.

To be more patient with my children: 5

I'd like to say I'm aceing this one, but it's a hard one to measure, and there are times every. single. day. when I can and should do better.

2 comments:

DLHardy said...

Good job sweetie! I'm proud of you!

Stacy said...

I love hearing about your recommendations! Do you remember when we were in 5th and 6th grade and both reading the Work and the Glory? Silly now, I wish I had that much time to read! I found you on goodreads, will you be my friend:)Sounds like your doing awesome on your goals... patience is a daily, if not hourly struggle for me too!