5.17.2010

My apologies

I'm afraid this is turning into a pregnancy blog.  I will try not to let that happen, but I make no promises.

My favorite sister and her family are currently in town from Japan, my older little brother is living at home for the summer, and my littlest brother came up from Utah last week, so we had a week full of family togetherness.  It was fantastic!  I love my family.  Jon's gone back to Utah now, but Sarah etc. will be here until Wednesday.  Hopefully I will post more about this wonderful week once I steal pictures from my dad, but if not, just know it was fabulous and family-filled.

And speaking of Wednesdays, last Wednesday was Ella's birthday.  I can't believe my baby is five years old!  That blows my mind!  That day I also had an ultrasound at Maternal Fetal Medicine to look at the placenta(s) to determine if there were indeed two really close together, or just one.

Now, if you're up to date on your twin pregnancy information, you will know that one placenta equals identical twins, whereas two placentas doesn't necessarily point to identical or fraternal.  The problem with sharing a placenta is that sometimes babies don't share so well, and one baby will end up doing all the growing.  It's called twin to twin transfusion, and it's not so good, Al.  This could necessitate laser surgery in utero to sever the blood vessels connecting the two babies.  Sounds fun, no?

I knew it was a little early for finding out the genders.  I've heard of people finding out that early (I was 14 weeks), but I tried not to get my hopes up.  If you recall from the pictures, Ella's bet was for a boy and a girl (which would necessarily be fraternal, and therefore two placentas).

However, according to the tech, we have one placenta and two penises.  Identical boys. 

Two very proud little boys.

I can't help but admit that while I was hoping for one little boy, I was also dreaming of bows and dresses.  But I wasn't really too disappointed.  I'm super excited for two more little boys to join our family.  Ella was quite let down and nearly started crying, but that didn't last for long.  She's now planning that next I'll have triplet boys. Named Simon, Theodore, and ALVIN!  Or, if not that: Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  Heaven help me.

But one placenta means that I will be having bi-weekly ultrasounds until I'm 24 weeks, to make sure that the babies are sharing nicely.  If they're not I'll be going under the knife.  Or laser, as the case may be.  I'm praying that it doesn't come to that.

You're welcome to join me.

12 comments:

Chelsi said...

I vote for either one of the triplet names. They are totally awesome and I am just sad that i didn't think of them first!!! That is crazy awesome about the twins and I do hope that they share nicely. It is only when they are around one that they don't share, right, so hopefully you don't have any problems with that!

Linda said...

I'll definitely be praying too! Technology these days is quite amazing! I'm very excited for you and your little guys!

Kristy said...

Yay yay yay!! That's so exciting! We'll be praying you have two good little sharers in there. :)

Alisha said...

Oh Twin To Twin Transfusion is so scary so I'm SO glad you're being watched for that-- ya for lots of ultrasounds! Congrats on 2 twin boys though-- that is SO FUN! Wow, how exciting. Glad you had fun with your fam too!

Mike and Tiffany said...

Yay!! Congratulations!!! Boys, boys, boys! I thought poor Henry could use some brothers around!!! :)

Mike and Tiffany said...

I should add... we'll be praying for you AND those boys! Let's hope they share! They do say boys play nicer than girls... :)

The Strain's said...

Ah! Wow! congrats! I guess I didnt realize you were that far along. I found out at 15 weeks with Issac. We went to one of those ultrasound places and paid the $75. I couldnt wait until 20 weeks. Nope, no way. Plus it was way worth it because the tech just let us watch him for a few minutes instead of the tech at the dr's that are all business and then shut off the machine and scroll through the shots like lightening. I'm jealous you get so many ultrasounds :) TWINS! wow. Twins are so cute. Maybe you should have a heart to heart with those boys on sharing nicely :) That laser thing sounds... space-agey. I've never heard of it before!

joel and laura michelle said...

wow ... this is seriously like my mom. girl, boy, girl, identical twins. i'll tell you what comes last ... a darling little angel girl with curly blonde hair ... lucky you :) how exciting. you are in our prayers!

Shan said...

Why did I not know that you're having twins???!!! My goodness1 Congratulations, Dudley family! Love you all...

michelledudley said...

fun news! you're lucky with the ultrasounds. When rob and ryan were born - we didn't know anything except there were two babies inside! It was a surprise to meet 2 identical little boys (well actually not so little - one weighing 7 lb. 14 and the other 8 lb 6)
anyway - it is all miraculous. read enough to stay healthy and educated, but not enough to become worried or paranoid. lay down each day - on your left side - and drink lots of water! Never forget a bag of m&m's cures a myriad of problems and you'll lose more weight the day of delivery than any other single birth!!! we are happy for your little-big family!
love michelle

Mindy said...

Congrats on your twin boys! How fun! And I'm sorry I didn't notice your question about how big a tube of sausage was until now. So I am answering you here as well as The Sisters Cafe post. Anyway, I could have sworn that they are 16oz, but I just looked and the tube I have in the freezer is only 12oz. Maybe they changed it... but I can't tell a difference in my recipes using the 12oz, so I will probably keep doing it. :)

TheMoncurs said...

How exciting!! I love my boys..I think twin boys would be so much fun (and so much trouble). Congratulations!!