7.09.2010

A day late, and a dollar short

Or over a week late.  Whatever.

It becomes obvious, when looking at a calendar, that the second quarter has passed, and I have yet to report on my reading and resolutions.

Let me remedy that.

Reading: um, not so much.  A measly seven books.

Scoring system review: The first number is my totally subjective preference rating, the higher, the better (out of 5). Next is the cleanliness rating, including language, violence, sensuality, etc. 0=squeaky clean, 5=PG13. The last number is recommended age level in my opinion: 2=elementary 3=Jr. High, 4=High school, 5=adult.

April:

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had, by Kristin Levine: 4.3.2
Cute, fun; loved the historical fiction aspect, characters, everything.
Three Cups of Tea; Young Reader's Edition, by Greg Mortensen and Oliver Relin, adapted by Sarah Thomsom: 3.0.2
Not the most gripping read, but an excellent story of a man doing amazing things for an oft-overlooked population of the world.  We should all be more like Greg Mortensen.
When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy, Revised Edition, by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein: 5.1.5
Not my typical reading, but I would HIGHLY recommend it if you fall into the target audience.
The Wednesday Letters, by Jason F. Wright: 5.3.5
I loved the story interlaced with letters from the past.  Deals with hard issues, but so well done.

May:


Apparently Babywise took me a long time to finish. And I was reading the Book of Mormon like a crazy woman, but I don't usually include scriptures in my reading list.


June:

On Becoming Babywise, by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam: 4.1.5
Again, not for everyone, but very interesting and informative.  I'm interested to try it out.
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, by Stephenie Meyer: 4.3.4
Great short story in typical Stephenie Meyer style.  I wish it could have ended differently.
The Tales of Beetle the Bard, by J.K. Rowling: 3.2.2
Fun companion to the Harry Potter books, (particularly #7).  Quick easy read.

And as for resolutions, well, they have not been on my radar nearly as much as they should have been.  I'm going to go ahead and blame a huge chunk of that on pregnancy brain and full-fledged gestation mode, but that doesn't mean that all other aspects of my life can or should go to pot.  So here's a quick look to remind you myself what I'm trying to improve.  If you'll remember, last time I gave myself a totally subjective rating between 1 and 10, with 10 being perfection.  I think I'll stick with that system.

To continue being more healthy: 7
While exercise has all but gone out the window, (what do you mean?  Standing up is a workout!) and weight gain (at 22 weeks) already competing with my full-term weight gain with Lou, I still feel like I'm doing what is best for my body and for the little bodies I'm growing. 

To better study my scriptures: 5

I was doing awesome through most of the quarter and now I'm doing worse.  I powered through and read the entire Book of Mormon, but once I finished, I lost steam and my personal reading has puttered to an almost stop.  That's not to say I don't read from the scriptures every day.  Between family scripture reading and companion study, I am definitely in the scriptures daily, but I need that personal time as well.

To be more patient with my children: 7

I still have room for daily improvement, and it's so hard to give a subjective rating to this one, since it's a minute-by-minute thing, but overall, I'd say I'm improving.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Yay - I'm glad to hear from you. I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are. I can't believe you surpassed the weight you gained with Caroline. You should do a updated pregnancy post for those that don't talk to you but still miss you!! Babywise was good for me to get the twins on a schedule (you'll need that) but the sleeping through the night thing at 9 weeks - yeah none of that...

Alisha said...

I am glad to hear you liked the multiples book I recommended-- and I know the weight gain is hard but you are right-- you ARE doing what you need to do! go you! Let me know as you go if you have any Babywise questions. The book doesn't answer everything & it really helped me to have an experienced Babywiser to talk to. Still no Twin to twin?