7.13.2010

{Key} lime pie

On the most sweltering day last week (high of 93, I think), we had a Relief Society activity that included a potluck.  There was no way in, well, anywhere, that I was going to turn on my oven, so I puttered around in my kitchen wondering what in the world I could make that would not require a trip to the store or use of the oven, and would still taste good. 

I had an abundance of limes that needed to be used (that's what happens when you buy them at Costco and then go out of town), so I began looking for a recipe to use them in.  Naturally, Key lime pie came to mind, but these weren't Key limes.  However, after being reassured by one cooking blog that I could indeed use normal (Persian) limes as substitute, I began looking for the right recipe.  In the end I used a mish-mash of several, using a filling that required only two ingredients and no cooking in a graham cracker crust.  I topped it with lightly sweetened whipped cream, a lovely lime garnish, and away I went. 

As I got several requests for the recipe, here it is:

Key Lime Pie

Crust:
1 1/4 c (125 g) crushed graham cracker crumbs
6 T butter or margarine, melted
2 T granulated sugar

Combine ingredients and press into a 9" pie dish and chill. {You can bake this and it might hold together better, but I was all about avoiding that, and it worked out just fine.}

Filling:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup  F R E S H  lime juice (about 3-4 Persian limes)

Mix in a bowl and pour into the crust and chill.  {You can add some food coloring if you want the green look, otherwise it will be yellow.  I used one drop green and two drops yellow and was pleased with the look, but I don't know that I'll bother next time.}  Also, I was going to add 1 t of lime zest, but then I realized I don't have a zester, or any convenient way to zest a lime.  Any ideas for next time?

Topping:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 T sugar

Whip the cream till it gets to the soft peak stage, add the sugar and continue whipping until you have stiff peaks.  Pipe or spread over the filling and garnish as desired.  Store in the refrigerator.  Obviously.

3 comments:

heidikins said...

I'm a lime-whore...I love anything with fresh lime in it, and like you, hate cooking in the hotter months. This will be whipped up over and over, I suspect. :)

Kate said...

Key Lime is one of my favorites! I'll have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for posting :)

Carol said...

To zest citrus fruits, scrape them with the tines of a fork or a serated knife.