10.07.2010

Quarter 3 Review

Book reading inexplicably went up starting mid-August... I can't imagine why.  Oh, right, because I've been spending an inordinate amount of time on the couch.   But still 18 books in three months isn't all that much.  But part of that is because I don't have access to the library from my couch, so I'm limited to what I have at home, which isn't much.  If you got some good books lying around, feel free to drop them off! :)


Scoring system review: The first number is my totally subjective preference rating, the higher, the better (out of 5). Next is the cleanliness rating, including language, violence, sensuality, etc. 0=squeaky clean, 5=PG13. The last number is recommended age level in my opinion: 2=elementary 3=Jr. High, 4=High school, 5=adult.

July:

Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry: 4.2.2
I haven't read this one in years.  It was shorter and simpler than I remember, but I loved it.

August:

Abandoned, by Jennie Hansen: 4.3.4
Don't judge a book by it's prologue.  Cute LDS romance/actionish novel
Freefall, by Traci Hunter Abrahamson: 4.3.4
Same category as above.  Cute and some suspense as well.
No Longer Strangers, by Rachel Ann Nunes: 4.3.4
Not as action-y but cute LDS romance.  And by romance I mean clean love story, not steamy adult content.
Freshman for President, by Ally Condie: 3.1.3
I wasn't sure I would love it, based solely on the title/premise, but it was fun.
It's Bliss, by Alene Roberts: 4.1.4
Cover promises a "modern, old-fashioned romance" and it delivered.
Darcy's Story, by Janet Aylmer: 4.0.4
Interesting premise that was done pretty well.  I still prefer the original.
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen: 5.0.4
Which is why I promptly had to read it again.  And loved it.  Of course.
Persuasion, by Jane Austen: 5.0.4
I hadn't read this Austen yet, but I loved it.

September:

Lady Susan, by Jane Austen: 3.1.4
I wasn't the hugest fan of the epistolary style of this novel, but it got the job done.
Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins: 3.4.4
Anti-climactic ending to a great series.  But decent.
Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen: 5.0.4
Loved it, just like last time.
Emma, by Jane Austen: 5.0.4
 Don't you just love Mr. Knightly?  And want to punch Mrs. Elliot in the face?
Anthem, by Ayn Rand: 2.2.3
It had been years since I read this distopian novella, and it was just as bizarre as I remember, but a lot shorter.
Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen: 4.0.4
If you hadn't guessed yet, I own "The Complete Works of Jane Austen" and plowed my way through it.
Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen: 4.1.4
And thoroughly enjoyed it.
The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnette: 4.0.3
Another repeat read, but that's what happens when you're limited to stock on hand.
The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan: 5.3.3
Loved this as much as the first time!

And as for New Year's resolutions:

To continue being more healthy: 8

When I made this resolution, I had little intention of being 8 months pregnant at this point of the year, much less with twins.  Given the current situation, I definitely feel like I'm doing great, but based on my intentions when I made this goal, I'm failing.



To better study my scriptures: 5
This is one of the hardest things for me to be consistent with; I don't know why.  I'll be doing great for days, weeks, months, and then I fall back into old habits.  Especially after last weekend's inspiring General Conference, I'm re-committed to improving in this area.

To be more patient with my children: 7

I don't get to see my children nearly as often as I would like.  With Ella at school all day, and the other two being cared for by one generous, wonderful person or another, I mostly only see them in the evenings.  This results in more patience when they are home At the same time, however, Rico has figured out that I can't enforce rules/requests anymore, which apparently means he no longer needs to follow them, which makes my patience level drop significantly.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Oh I LOVED "Number The Stars". I haven't read it since grade school but still remember the story. I should read it again. I have the Secret Garden sitting on my night stand. It looks hefty. Will I like it?

babalisme said...

I love how you "grade" your own resolution! I guess that would make us motivated! great idea!