11.20.2010

I'm not buying it

The votes are in.

All five of them.  As it was nearly unanimous in favor of Morty and Ferdie, that's what we'll go with.  Sorry Grant.  {And knowing that he likes to be all confrontational and oppositional makes it that much more fun to reject his assumed authority.}

But I digress.

If you may recall, I was told early on that we were expecting identical boys.  And so I worried about how I would ever manage to tell them apart.  I decided that unless there was an easily identifiable difference, I would resort to painting one of their big toenails.  Red for Morty and Blue for Ferdie, or something like that.

Luckily, it did not come down to that since I have been able to easily tell them apart from day one.  So much so that I wonder about that identical diagnosis.  {We could pay lots of good money to have their DNA checked, but I'm cheap, broke, and quite frankly don't care that much, so it's not likely.} 

It has already been established that Tom and I make one kind of baby: cute with chubby cheeks, (initially) dark hair, and blue eyes.  So it's no surprise that Morty and Ferdie share these family traits. But in my opinion, Ferdie looks more like Ella as a baby, and Morty looks much more like Rico.  It's hard to point to exact differences (any more than you could tell me just how any two babies differ) other than to say they just look slightly different.  They have differently shaped heads; Morty has a more pinky complexion; Ferdie's hair seems darker and slightly longer, Morty's almost has a reddish tint (but that could just be due to his aforementioned complexion); Ferdie has (or had, at their three-week check-up) half a pound on Morty, despite Morty's slightly larger size at birth.  But the obvious, give-away difference is something anyone can see: Morty's right ear.
It is so nice to have such a distinguishable difference, so that regardless of their potential future identical-ness I will always be able to tell them apart.

Unless they take to wearing ear-muffs.

PS: Happy one month birthday, Morty and Ferdie!  I can't believe it's been a whole month, but I can't imagine life without you.  Cheesy, but true.

4 comments:

mrs. olson said...

They are too cute!

Bethany said...

So sweet :)

Sarah H said...

I was going to say exactly what Mrs. Olson said, so I won't repeat, but just second the motion.

Momma Strain said...

adorable! you're doing a good job at getting me excited!