2.01.2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

My grandpa used to make these when my mom was growing up.  And she made them for my siblings and I.

And I did not like them so much.

But today, I was craving them, and thankfully my sister had posted the recipe on our family website, because both she and my mom are in Japan, and I wasn't about to call them in the middle of the night to ask for the recipe.

I don't know what I was thinking when I was little, because these were so yummy this morning.  This is the original recipe from my grandfather, with my notes in italics.

2 C milk
2 C oats
1/3 C flour (I used freshly ground whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs separated
1/3 C melted fat (I used butter, but margarine or shortening should work)

Syrup: Honey with a little butter and cinnamon


Heat milk and pour over oats. (I'm sure my grandpa heated the milk on the stove; I used a microwave and heated it till it was hot, but not boiling.) Allow to cool. Mix dry ingredients together. Add egg yolks and fat to oat mixture. Stir in dry ingredients. (Beat egg whites.) Fold in stiff egg whites.

Cook like normal pancakes. Heat honey, butter, and cinnamon for syrup.  I just guessed on amounts: the goal is to make it taste good. :)

2 comments:

DLHardy said...

yup, still one of my favorites! Glad your taste buds are wising up!

Sarah said...

I am glad it was posted there for you so you could enjoy those this morning! THANK YOU for not calling in the middle of the night for a recipe!! I really appreciate that! :D