5.09.2011

Mon anniversaire: with photos!

Once upon a time I had a birthday. And I intended to blog about it. And then a week passed. And now I'm blogging about it.

Tom and I, we don't get out much. I mean, between two nursing babies, five kids total, and the price of things (dinner! babysitters!) we mostly stay in for our dates.  But once in a while we splurge.

Birthdays are frequently just such occasions.  So we arranged with my parents to take the kiddos last Friday night while we had a (much deserved) night on the town.  (aka we went to dinner and a movie.  But it was on our own, so that's saying something.) 

The plan was simple: we would drop off the kidlets, eat some dinner, catch a movie, scrounge up some dessert, return to my parents where our kids would be blissfully sleeping, and we would return home in the morning.

Then, Sunday (my birthday--and my parent's anniversary), my parents and Jonathan (who was in town to photograph a wedding) would trek down to join us for church and cake.  (And dinner, but that's much less important than church and cake.)

Friday went down almost exactly as planned.  There was just one little (minute, really) blip in the form of a phone call.  I called my mom to check on some little detail, and she informed me that she had just gotten off the phone with my sister.

Now that fact is not all that noteworthy in and of itself.  Unless you factor in to the equation that it was insanely early in the morning in Japan.  And that she was calling to tell my mom that they were boarding a plane for Seattle.

As in they would arrive sometime mid-morning the next day.   Best birthday surprise ever.

That left Friday's plans unchanged, but threw the rest of the weekend's plans out the window.

Saturday morning Jon and I went to retrieve them from the airport and we let the kids play for a while before heading home. Sunday we swiftly returned for more cousin time, celebrating, and church in the afternoon.  It was a little sad to be missing Grant, but we survived. :)

I made a super awesome cake, and before you complain that I shouldn't be making my own birthday cake, let me reassure you that it was an anniversary cake, as you can see:



1 comment:

Off Grid Mom said...

That does sound like a crazy family adventure. I loved your cake. Not only did it look delicious, but your decorations made it look fun. :)