6.03.2011

Serious business

My baby is six.

I'm not sure how I feel about this fact.

I mean, am I really old enough to have a six-year-old? (More to the point, am I really old enough to have 5 kids?) Probably not, but the fact remains.

She still likes kindergarten, but not with the same undying passion she once did. She continues to amaze me with her skills: reading skills, writing skills, drawing skills, you get the idea.

She's just getting so big that the other other day I had to sit down with her and have THE talk.

You know what I mean.

The apostrophe talk.

It started innocently enough, but when she gave me this picture, I knew it was time.

Apostrophes, I told her, are special things that should be saved for certain circumstances. They should never be used to pluralize words, but should be reserved for making contractions or showing possession.

I reassured her that many people are confused by apostrophes and some adults still don't know when they should be used. I told her that if she followed the rules, that she could learn to make good choices in her use of apostrophes, and that as she did, people would be impressed by her writing. She really seemed to understand and grasp the idea, and while I doubt that's the last talk we'll have about them, I think she will make wise decisions in her use of apostrophes from now on.

I only hope other big talks will go as smoothly.

5 comments:

Alisha Oldroyd said...

Hilarious. But I do have to say this: one of my most grandiose pet-peeves in life is the misuse of apostrophes. So I applaud you in the correct teaching to your big 6-year-old. I will do the same when my kids reach the appropriate age to discuses such an important topic.

Bethany said...

Haha, that's great. I mean thats gre'at.

Emily said...

Ha ha! The world needs more grammatically accurate parents who teach their children correct grammar principles.

DLHardy said...

I am one proud mom and grandma!

crystal b. said...

Doesn't it freak you out when your kids have birthdays? Every single year, I think "stop growing!!"

That drawing is awesome!