8.11.2011

Otherwise employed

It's been well over two months since my last real post.

That is lame.

Especially since I have oodles of posts written in my head, and time that could be spent blogging, but is frequently frittered away doing meaningless nothings. In fact, I would not be surprised if the majority of you have given up on me entirely.

Life is good.

Back to routine, but good.

Occasionally boring, but good.

Full and crazy, but good.

I'm not going to lie that having Tom home all of July was not fabulous, because it was. I know that was a major contributor to my blogging silence. And now he's back at work, and here I am again.

I'm kind of in a weird state right now. I haven't really adjusted to the idea of Tom being at work full time again.

After Tom graduated last summer (okay, since before that) he's been looking for a job as a school administrator. {As you may (or may not) know, he's been a teacher for the last 6 years, and got his master's degree and admin certificate last June.} When he didn't get a job for last year (we work on school years around here), we figured it was for the best. With not one but two new babies on the way, a new, busier, more stressful job was just what we didn't need.

So he taught another year.

{I must add that this is the best way to look for a job: while you still have one. Much less stressful than looking for a job when you DON'T have one.}

And come January, he started looking for jobs.

I don't know how things work in the "real world," but in education, new administrators generally start as assistants (except occasionally at the elementary level). But even then, most people prefer to hire those "with experience." However, one needs to get hired to get "experience." It's kind of a catch 22.

But he applied. Here, there, and everywhere. And he interviewed. Here, there, and everywhere.

There were several positions that he was very excited about, but though he got second interviews for quite a few of them, they generally went with someone with more experience. In a couple cases, they even pointed out that he was their number 2 pick.

But the number 2 pick doesn't get the job.

He started applying for some dean jobs, which is basically an assistant principal on a teacher's salary. Not exactly what he was hoping for, but better than not getting a job. Because at least it would count as "experience."

And since it is a teacher contract, as opposed to an admin contract, the hiring process is much more simple and local, with hiring being done by the building principal, instead of the district level.

So (a couple weeks ago) he interviewed for a position Thursday and was offered a job Friday.

In a way it was anti-climatic. There was no build-up of anticipation after the first interview, no looking forward to the second, and then hashing out how it went down. No perusing craigslist to look for houses since it's in our home district. Just a simple phone call, and he has essentially been back at work since. (Although, since it's a teacher contract, he isn't getting paid for working August...)

But it feels right, so that's what's important.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray! Congrats on moving up and getting some experience. :) I just wanted you to know that last year, when I was looking for a job, and you said something better was on the way, it was. Big time. And it felt right, and all of the sudden I knew why I had been let go.

I'm so glad it feels right!

Kristy said...

Yay for breaking into the admin world! And yay for you blogging again. And you're pretty. :)

------------------------------- said...

Yay for you guys. It is a step in the right direction. Now you get to sift through the health care, flexible spending, & retirement offerings of the new district!!
~Lisa~

Emily said...

Hooray for experience! (I'm still reading, by the way- of course! I would never leave you. :) I get excited when you post.)