9.24.2011

Done

My bubbies hit the eleven month mark this last week.

And how did we celebrate? By skipping a feeding. And making a habit of it.

For the last couple months they've been on a steady 4 hour schedule. They nursed at 7:00, 11:00, 3:00, and 7:00. And those times were flexible, too, which made it even easier.

But Monday when we were out shopping, we didn't get home until 10:30 and they needed a nap. So I put them down and they didn't get up till noon. I fed them lunch and let them play and put them down again, and finally nursed them at 2. And they were totally fine with it. Thus was born our new schedule.

I love nursing. It's free, easy, convenient, free, I get to snuggle cute babies, I can feed them simultaneously, and did I mention it's free? Plus, I am still eating for three, so I can easily justify eating more chocolate than I need.

But after a year, I'm done.

I know that there are benefits to longer-term breastfeeding, and it may be right for you, but it's not for me.

Also, in the past, a year would be about when we were thinking about the next baby. And while I haven't reached that point, I'm still ready to be done.

On one hand, at least.

On the other hand, I'm feeling more sentimental, and have thought more about continuing than I have with any of the others. I don't know why that is.

But still, I'm done.

I'll spend the next month slowly cutting out one feeding at a time, so that by the time their birthday rolls around, they'll be okay with being done forever.

Just typing that is bittersweet.

But then I remind myself that I'm done.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

Good for you!!! Not only do many women not make it through a year (like me) but you were nursing TWINS! I can't imagine. You are superwoman.

Alisha said...

You are superwoman. And I typed that before I read Meagan's comment.

The Mathews said...

It's a wonderful thing to be feeding for free. Wish I was able to hold out, but my body decided to cut loose on it's own. Hopefully baby #2 will last longer. btw, I agree with those two, Meagan and Alisha. You ARE superwoman.