1.26.2012

Snow, and ice, and miracles

If you're not from around here, you may not know (or care) that we had snow-mageddon last week. It snowed on and off the whole week. Now, I don't like being cold, but I can handle some snow. Especially if it doesn't stick around too long.

But this?

Out of control.

The snow wasn't the worst part.  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were all pretty standard snow days. And with Tom home (love being married to an educator,) he was happy to take the kids out to build snowmen and go sledding. (And Lou is totally faking that sad face in the second pic.)



But Thursday it started with the freezing rain. As in, it rains, but freezes the minute it touches anything. So everything (cars, houses, trees, everything) is covered in a sheet of ice.



All that ice makes trees heavy.

And they don't like that so they bend.


Or break.

And sometimes when the break, they take out power lines.

We were doing well, and more or less kept our power until Thursday night. Many people lost it before then (some as early as Tuesday), so we were counting our blessings.

But our luck ran out Thursday evening as I was cooking dinner. It was close enough to done that we ate it anyway and went to bed. The next morning the house was freezing. By which I mean it was 56 degrees. I was ready to leave (Tom's parents still had power and my parents have a generator). Tom wanted to stick it out, since the power could come back anytime, but by three that afternoon, I convinced him to abandon that hope. After all, PSE officials were estimating that it would be into the next week before power was restored to everyone. We packed up and drove north around 4, making sure to turn everything off, so if the power did come back on we wouldn't be wasting electricity.

As can be expected, our power came back on before 7 that night (Tom called, and our answering machine picked up-that's how we knew it was back). As the kids were already on their way to bed, we stayed the night, and planned to come home after lunch.

And as usual, it was a little later than that by the time we got on our way, and when we came home, I opened the door to the light on in the laundry room (it has two switches, so you can never be sure if it's on or off) and a smoky smell.

The kitchen fan was on, the burner (where I had been cooking dinner Thursday night) was red hot and our stove looked like this.

It took me a while to figure out what it was, but once I did, I realized how lucky blessed we were to still have a house.


Tom had emptied our food scraps container and it had gotten set on the cold stove instead of being put away. We had added several things to it, and now all that was left was melted plastic, charred orange peel and ashes.


We opened doors and windows to get rid of the smoky smell, all the while thanking our Maker for sparing our home.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

HOLY COW! That really is a miracle! I am so glad that was the only loss. Our ice really was ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it.

heidikins said...

Several years ago my mom left a plastic pepper-grinder on her very similiar stove while she was making potato salad (boiling eggs, boiling potatoes). Then she went outside to have a quick chat with a neighbor. An hour later she went inside and found flames in her kitchen.

End of the day, the kitchen had to be replaced, the bathroom had to be replaced (it shared a wall with the stove). There was this smeary, charred plastic ash all over the entire house. Blinds were replaced, carpets and upholstery and wallpaper was professionally cleaned--twice!--to get rid of the smell. And, worst of all, the grand piano spent over 3 months at the Piano Man's Shop so he could take the inside completely apart and clean off all the little pieces and strings and what-have-you.

You guys are REALLY lucky not to have suffered a similar fate. Goodness, what a miracle!

xox

mrs. olson said...

So scary! I'm so glad everything is fine.

DLHardy said...

Well, amazing the things we learn online! Truly a blessing my dear! Wow!

I haven't been able to use my cool yard waste holder because I don't have one of "their" cans, so I can't put in kitchen waste - so.... sounds like you could use it back!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! I am SO happy for you that it just melted and didn't start a fire. Phew. Lookin' stylish, by the way! I don't think I have enough confidence in my look to post pictures online...I'm so impressed that you do it!

The Mathews said...

Whew! Glad that the melting and burn just stayed in one place.

Those icicles looked horrifying. That's my favorite part of having weather like we did, though here in Shoreline, not one house on our block got icicles.

Momma Strain said...

Ahhh! So scary!!! My mom forgot she put rolls in the oven to bake and then we left to go see Grandma - we came home and the rolls were hollow. My brother and I threw them at the back patio for awhile before one finally broke open. We had been gone about 3hrs and the cooked the WHOLE time. Whoops! Glad the house didnt burn down! I hope it cleaned up!