1.31.2013

Love and prayers

Rico played hooky from school today.

When tragedy strikes, like it did in Newtown last year, it is only natural to hold your loved ones close. But tragedy strikes every day, only it's small so the effect is not as far spread.

We just found out that Rico's little buddy in his kindergarten class is starting treatment for leukemia tomorrow. As today was his last day for visitors, and as he requested Rico and another friend by name, they went down to the hospital to visit instead of going to school.

I've been fighting tears all day and I don't know anything about this boy, except his name and that Rico loves him.

Rico just got home, so, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go love on my kids and be grateful they're healthy and well.

And pray for those who aren't.

3 comments:

Lisa C said...

We have a little boy in our ward the same age as Ruth who was diagnosed with Leukemia on New Year's Eve. It is so sad. Fortunately, childhood Leukemia has about a 90% cure rate. This little boy did great for the first couple weeks, but had a major set back when the regular bacteria in his intestines turned into a bad infection. They removed his whole colon, and he has spent 2 or 3 weeks on a ventilator in the PICU, but he is finally off the ventilator and hopefully getting ready to leave the PICU. Anyway, so sad for Rico's friend and I will include him in my frequent prayers for our little friend!

Rachael said...

Totally sweet he wanted his little friends but so sad.

Beth said...

I am so sorry. There are so many tragedies every day- I am sorry that this one is so close to home. I will pray for Rico's friend and his family. I had a friend in college that survived leukemia at age 5 and that was with the treatments available 20 years ago. I will hope that Rico's friend will have a complete healing!

Hugs and love to all of you!