3.13.2013

All that glitters is gold

Our last home was temporary from the moment we started looking for it. It was a starter home, and we planned on living there 3-5 years. So, while there were cosmetic things that I didn't like about the house (hanging light fixture in the kitchen, I'm looking at you!), we very much had the attitude of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

This time is totally different. I can picture living in this home for the rest of ever, so I'm feeling much more motivated to spruce it up and get it just how I want it. 

Case in point.


We love having a fireplace. Our last place didn't have one, and while I like the cheerful crackling of a REAL fire, a gas fireplace is much more convenient. (And much harder to roast mallows over, but I digress.) 

This one, however, has shiny, ugly, gold-colored bars. Now, I hate gold. And I especially hate gaudy, shiny, fake gold/brass stuff. (See also: all my door knobs--doh!) So this fireplace was an eyesore for me. Add that to the fact that it stares me in the face every time I stand at my stove and you can see that I was not loving it.

Enter spray paint.

Not just any spray paint, mind you. I did my homework and got Rustoleum Specialty High Heat Spray. It is specially designed to withstand heat up to 1200 degrees. While my fireplace won't ever get that hot, I figured it would be better to err on the side of caution, rather than having cheapy regular spray paint bubbling and peeling the first time we turned the fireplace on. 

While I considered getting a brushed chrome/silver paint, I picked flat black for a couple of reasons. A) That's what the rest of the fireplace is, 2) Fred Meyer had it in stock, and I was there anyway, and D) I have no intention of making a special trip to Home Depot or Lowe's, or even wait patiently for an order from Amazon. I'm a bit impulsive sometimes.

So I pulled the bars off and lightly sanded them so the paint would hold better. 


Then I wiped them down, painted them with several light coats, and (after waiting patiently for them to dry) popped them right back on. 

LOVE!


Me, that is. The kids hate the change, (Lou even started crying) and I don't think Tom would have noticed if the kids hadn't pointed it out. 


It's a small thing, but I smile every time I look at it. Which, as I mentioned above, is quite frequently. And for a grand total of $6.59 (plus tax, of course), I call that a win! And I even have paint leftover, just in case someone scratches it.

Aaand, I linked this post up to Thrifty Decor Chick's "Little Things" linky party. Because it really is the little things.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

It looks great! I think you made a great choice. Don't you love (hate) when kids cry over stuff like that. My kids always do, too.

Beth said...

Wow! Matches perfectly and looks great!!

Kathy Moreland said...

Sooooo much better!! Looks really nice!

Kerry@homecrushblog.com said...

Great move -- and kids hate change but they tend to get over it :)