6.30.2014

Had I known

Impressively, I have six kids and last month marks the first time time that anyone in this house had to go to the emergency department.

It was a Saturday evening. Morty was playing out back but snuck around to the front, climbed on a bike (without a helmet) and fell off, cutting his forehead on the pavement. The cuts were deep, but not long, just two maybe quarter inch cuts a quarter inch apart (not unlike the back view of a staple). Because they were relatively deep and, you know, on his FACE, we decided medical attention was for the best.

We would have gone to urgent care, except that the injury happened just minutes after they closed.

The doctor decided that glue would be best and got him all patched up in no time. (The gluing took no time, there was plenty of waiting beforehand.)

I knew that the ER boasts a $150 copay, so I wasn't thrilled about that, but we figured that Morty's head was worth it.

Had I known that we would also get bills totaling an additional $750, I'm not sure we would have made the same decision.

And that's WITH insurance. I can't even imagine what it would have been without. Yikes!

All I have to say is that is some expensive glue.

(PS, it's healed up fairly well. He will have a small scar, but if it bugs him, he can wear his hair long enough to cover it.)

2 comments:

------------------------------- said...

Holy Cow! Is that your co-insurance I wonder? That is so high!


~Lisa Lewis~

------------------------------- said...

Holy Cow! Is that your co-insurance I wonder? That is so high!


~Lisa Lewis~